Running Mac OS 9.x under Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Mac OS 9.x under Kubuntu

I sent off for a very old Chessmaster game that I thought was for an old version of Windows, and so I could run it under my Windows 7 in VirtualBox. However, it turns out to be an old Mac program from 1998. I've been searching for online info on running Mac OS 9. I've found tutorials on doing it with a program named "Sheep Shaver" and also info on doing it with QEMU. Word on the street is that it won't do it with VirtualBox. Therefore, I think I'll give it a go with Sheep Shaver or QEMU. Has anyone here run OS 9, or an older Mac OS, with either Sheep Shaver or QEMU? I'd be interested in your results because I need to decide between the two. Thanks.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

No, sorry - the last time I used Mac OS 9 was when I "dual booted" it on PowerPC Macs with Yellow Dog Linux from iomega Jaz drives over 20 years ago.
    I rarely can remember anything in detail from this time…

But please let us know if and how you managed it!
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Here you go, a video on how to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6y_CiyAMA
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Thanks, I had seen this video some days ago.
        But I think that won't work with Mac OS 9 - only with the recent releases (Mac OS 9 is completely different from the FreeBSD-based macOS)…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 08, 2024, 01:13 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Thanks, I had seen this video some days ago.
          But I think that won't work with Mac OS 9 - only with the recent releases (Mac OS 9 is completely different from the FreeBSD-based macOS)…
          It would appear the preferred way to run OS 9 is by doing so under SheepShaver. I still have not even gotten SheepShaver to run. I tried installing via the command line and via a deb file, neither of which worked. The deb file was really old. I may have to download the source and compile it myself. (Uhg). Using QEMU may also be an option. I've had other things distracting me from working on this. I'll get back to it when I can. There are a couple old Mac programs I want to run. Plus, I have an old netbook that I want to turn basically into an old Mac clone. But real life has kind of gotten in the way of my hacking. Annoying life stuff!
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

Working...
          X