Firefox snap and video downloadhelper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox snap and video downloadhelper

On my old computer I removed all things Snap and installed Firefox from the .deb.
    On this new computer I decided to install Firefox with Snap and I observe the Video DownloadHelper does not work.
    Clicking it only results in a repeat link to download the associated app.
    Everything works fine on Firefox without Snap.

Did anyone find a solution for this?

Video DownloadHelper seems to be an addon. I did not test it.
    I run the non snap version of Firefox.

If you want the non snap version:

Source:
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/how-to-install-firefox-deb-apt-ubuntu-22-04

Step 1:
    Remove the Firefox Snap by running the following command in a new Terminal window:
    sudo snap remove firefox

Step 2:
    Add the (Ubuntu) Mozilla team PPA to your list of software sources by running the following command in the same Terminal window:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa

Step 3:
    Next, alter the Firefox package priority to ensure the PPA/deb/apt version of Firefox is preferred. This can be done using a slither of code from FosTips (copy and paste it whole, not line by line):

echo '
    Package: *
    Pin: release o=LP-PPA-mozillateam
    Pin-Priority: 1001
    ' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/mozilla-firefox

Step 4:
    Since you’ll (hopefully) want future Firefox upgrades to be installed automatically, Balint Reczey shares a concise command on his blog that ensures it happens:
    echo 'Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins:: "LP-PPA-mozillateam:${distro_codename}";' | sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/51unattended-upgrades-firefox

Step 5:
    Finally, install Firefox via apt by running this command:
    sudo apt install firefox

As soon as the Firefox installation completes pop open the app launcher and click on the Firefox icon to launch a de-Snapped version you can pin to the Ubuntu dock.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in answering.
      On this laptop I use the snap version of Firefox and the video downloader does not function.
      When I select to download it every time I get the option to download the required plug in which has already been installed several times.
      Although this computer is plenty fast enough to not having problems with snap, next time I will install I'll go back to the non-snap version.

Comment

Working...
      X