Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with line in and recording

Hello,
    I put it in software although I don't know which section to put it in.

Let me tell you;
    I use audacity to edit sound, I have it updated by ppa, the problem is the following;

I have connected an audio jack cable to the rear input of my sound card, to the line in port, I connect an audio player and I listen to the audio but, not Audacity.
    I'll try to be brief;
    After many tests I have come to the conclusion that;
    I just restarted the system, if I open the audio icon, the line in input, the power bar is displayed perfectly as it moves (playing audio through the line in), that's right, when I open audacity, then that same sound bar At first, it feels slowed down, as if hit, and audacity, when I press record, it goes slowly, with taps, record records something but if I press play on what I recorded, it sounds as if at 1000x speed.
    In case it was an audacity thing, I did a ppa purge of audacity, and the same thing happens to me with the stock version of kubuntu.

As it is important to me, I went to another distri, which uses pipewire, and it is not that it is perfect, but at least, if you hear it and audacity records well (lower version than the current one through ppa in kubuntu but higher than the which comes by default in kubuntu).

I haven't mounted a Windows partition in ages (without exaggeration, more than 10 years) and there, it works for me without a problem.

In kubuntu, I open alsamixer and I have tried and touched all the possible configurations, nothing works.

I've been like this all week, and I can't find the problem.

If necessary, I'll post a screenshot.

Thanks in advance.​

Please post screensots of your setup and settings, it will help, for sure.

Now, if you want to attempt a full Pipewire install on 22.04 to replace the 'partial' setup found there, as opposed to using a different distro, or installing Kubuntu 23.10:
    https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...o-ubuntu-2204/
    This is easily reversible.
    I myself use a more current set of Pipewire things: https://pipewire-debian.github.io/pipewire-debian/
    The process is much the same as the first link.
    I cannot remember exactly why I used the PPAs over stock ubuntu packages, but I did switch to a full pipewire/wireplumber setup up so I could have proper screen recording in OBS quite some time ago. I imagine the more current stuff worked better?

Comment

Ok, I put screeshots of the configuration, I don't know if it will be enough.
      The first image is from alsamixer, selecting my sound card and showing everything. For me, that configuration is correct, it is the same configuration as in another distro that works.

This third image is what I see happening:

I start Kubuntu, the audio that I have online plays perfectly, the audio progress bar moves completely normally, the moment I open Audacity... the problem is already there, without doing anything else, that same bar is already I see that it is extremely slow.

I've thought about it, switching to full Piupewire, maybe it will solve the problem, I don't know, the other distro I mentioned works, it uses pipewire but with an outdated version of Audacity, I don't remember now, it's the penultimate one more or less.
      I think that when we open / I open Audacity, something does in the sound server and the problem comes, because regardless of whether I want to record that line in sound, the power metric bar, when I open audacity, then it becomes slow, like to "hits." I have to reboot the system to get it working properly again.

Indeed, as you mention, my idea is not to use a different distro or kubuntu 23.10.... I did those tests because nothing was working anymore, and although I make an image of my kubuntu with clonezilla, it takes me a long time, and that is not my intention change distro

I think I made your first link yesterday before writing this thread...hahaha...I say I think because I made one just like it, but I saw that link, I'm sure of that, but I don't remember if I followed another similar one or the first one link that you indicate, from what I'm seeing, I think I followed the other one I found, similar, but it didn't work for me.

I have looked at the second link, I understand that doing point 2 is enough, and it is point 1 that installs the PPA's (which are not really necessary), correct me if I am wrong.
      Then it would be point 3, but between 1 and 2, we can do one or the other, correct?
      I will look at your second link since you indicate that it is much the same as the first link..

Yes, I suppose that the more current stuff worked better, that is the theory, in the specific case of Audacity, it is not, xD, at least in the Linux environments that I have tested...so then calm down, I will completely install pipewire, and hopefully it will solve the problem...

Thanks for your answer!​

Comment

What about settings in Audacity? Or a more current version of it? if you are having success in a distro with full-pipewire, this means they are more current than Ubuntu 22.04. newer kernels, more current audio components on top of a newer Audacity
        Plus audacity can bypass all the pulseaudio/pipewire stuff altogether, as you can choose the hardware more directly. It can be very complicated in its settings.

Also try booting a different kernel from grub. Maybe there is a bug in a new one on your specific audio device.
        Or revert from the PPA version of Audacity - maybe that newer version has a bug? yes, there are too many variables, for sure.

No matter which link you use, you need to follow all the directions in the method you choose - the PPA with its more current stuff needs slightly different steps than stock Ubuntu versions.

Comment

I didn't put the audacity configuration because I tried them all, all the possible ones, and none of them work, anyway, I'll give you a couple of screenshots (with base kubuntu, without pipewire modifications or anything else) (I don't know why to put more of the audacity settings, I have tried with default, pulse, and all the audio channels on my device...):

In the full-pipewire distro....it is not "full-pipewire", it uses wayland, it was me who configured pipewire manually following their wiki, their kernel is older than kubuntu's, their version of audacity is older than of kubuntu ppa (in kubuntu I have tried the system version and the ppa version, the same thing happens to me in both).
          That other distribution that I mentioned, I raised it from version to testing, and everything broke down. It only works for me on the stable one.

I will try an older kernel, although I'm afraid I only have a choice of 1... the Audacity version, which I mentioned, in Kubuntu, I have tried the PPA version and the one that comes installed on the system (having previously used ppa purge) Same result, I went back to the ppa version.

About the links, since the pipewire world is still not completely clear to me, it doesn't matter which link I use, but I follow all the steps, not making the two links, correct? This is what happens to me when I go to several things at the same time...hahaha.

I don't know why, it strikes me (as they say in my country) that audacity, in its last two versions, despite being a program designed for Linux... no... it doesn't work well,...
          For me specifically, it is when I open it, something touches the system that from then on the line in monitoring begins to fail, on the other hand, if I restart the computer, the line in monitoring is correct... I start to think This is not kubuntu, it is not pulse audio or pipewire... I'm starting to think it's audacity.
          Where does it work for me, it has pipewire but it doesn't have the latest version, if I upload the version of that distro, it uploads the version of audacity and then it fails...
          To me, thinking out loud, it seems to me that...something initially developed for Linux...is not working well on Linux and is working well on another operating system...​

Edit: I view that,. your first link its that was made some days ago, no result.
          Like I have a image with clonezilla, I was restored my image and today, now, I made the steps that your second link....same result....not works...
          Agggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by wonder; Nov 24, 2023, 03:23 PM. Reason: update info

Comment

Working...
          X