unable to upgrade to Lunar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] unable to upgrade to Lunar

So, last update, "Discover" suddenly returns (more annoying than that bloody paperclip) and pops up, UPGRADE
    So I click on it and get this
    Click image for larger version  Name:	231013@1752 - upgrade failed.jpg Views:	570 Size:	8.9 KB ID:	674373
    Any helpful ideas ?
    I've done apt update; apt upgrade; apt full-upgrade;
    apt-get install ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
    $ do-release-upgrade
    (I don't know if that is the actual command or part of a bigger command, but it's what was written.
    ​I also got the following error at one stage.
    Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading
    SO.... How do I upgrade please
    Click image for larger version  Name:	231013@1801 - About me System.jpg Views:	529 Size:	29.4 KB ID:	674374
    Last edited by CharlieDaves; Oct 28, 2023, 04:36 PM.

As it is now the possibilty to upgrade is not official yet, you would still have to sudo do-release-upgrade -d .
    I just upgraded my Kubuntu 23.04 test installation to Kubuntu 23.10 this way.

Edit: Brainfart (I think that is what you guys call it in English… ) - he wanted to upgrade from 22.04 to 23.04, not from 23.04 to 23.10
    I mostly cannot remember those *Ubuntu release names!
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 27, 2023, 10:32 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks Schwarzer Kater. I'll try that command in the morning.
      Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      As of now the possibilty to upgrade is not official yet, you would still have to sudo do-release-upgrade -d .
      ​My other PC, suddenly a few months ago demanded to "upgrade" so I let it.... Hows it upgrade not possible when ...well... my other PC did so.
      This one I have forcefully removed Discover.
      &
      Now I find Muon is now been phased out or deleted or whatever. "Bloody former M$/Crapple programmers" now embedding themselves into the world of Linux. GRRRR
      Last edited by CharlieDaves; Oct 13, 2023, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
        demanded to "upgrade"
        A bit strong there.
        Of course there will, be a notification, a short-term release will NEED to be upgraded to stay supported. But you aren't required to so so right now. You have a few months. Try right-clicking on the icon, or adjust the upgrade notification settings in your Software Sources tool.
        (they do hide that button in Discover, but is available via Muon or Synaptic as well)

Discover has nothing to do with the upgrade notification or tool at all, those are completely Ubuntu-specific software.

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        As it is now the possibilty to upgrade is not official yet, you would still have to sudo do-release-upgrade -d .

While using sudo do-release-upgrade -d​, the official instructions are probably just a little safer, and *may* be usable right now
        Run in Krunner:

pkexec do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE

Alternatively if you wish to do the entire upgrade in a terminal, in Konsole do:

sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
        The "-d" indicates installing a devel release, which for all intents is forcing an upgrade (when it may not be ready, for example, not just for development)
        Luckily, this is still usually safe, there never has been a development release open when a new release is out. But I do think that there may be some subtle differences in the process with the different switches, maybe. I can't remember.

Comment

Thanks Schwarzer Kater. I'll try that command in the morning.

​My other PC, suddenly a few months ago demanded to "upgrade" so I let it.... Hows it upgrade not possible when ...well... my other PC did so.
          This one I have forcefully removed Discover.
          &
          Now I find Muon is being removed & we are forced to use Discover........Former M$/Crapple programmers" now embedding themselves into the world of Linux.
          CORRECTION.... Just Before I shut down the other computer (It was coping files) (A lot of files), I looked at the system, and it's 22.04, same as picture above... Weird. REALLY weird as I am positive, that Discover suddenly appeared, popped up, demanded an update with xyz days until this version is no longer <whatever>.
          I let it, as all this PC does is a basic HTPC. I store movies, etc, and play them when I want to watch something. I couldn't care less about the OS, as long as I have VLC and smplayer

ALSO
          Sorry if I was a bit "Over the top"... These "Forced upgrades" are stupid. I read in a different post (Ver 16.04) that someone else was complaining. Something like it's Linux, we choose.
          That's the main reason I went off at former M$/Crapple... Those main 2 OS's are constantly updating, and you don't get a choice of when where how.... I did read somewhere (PC Mag) that businesses that don't setup their updates correctly, have been loosing $millions per year, as employees, globally, sit around waiting for their computer to be "USABLE" again.

Now it's the same with Linux. As I mentioned. I uninstalled Discover, and last update, that **** program was back. I've uninstalled it again, I've removed it from startups. I hate it. It's about as much fun as getting your license from the DMV (Or so I've heard)

Comment

I feel your pain! I simply DON'T use the Discover ridiculousness at all. When a notice appears the updates are available, I use command line entries to get them. If I want to install something, I either use Synaptic or apt to install it. And finally every two years I just download a new LTS ISO, backup my data (well I do that every week) and do a clean install.

I know, that doesn't work for everyone, but it does make my life easy
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

22.04... and you are trying to upgrade?

Since 22.10 went end-of-life in July, there is no supported upgrade, until 24.04 is released. My understanding is that to upgrade 22.04 to 23.10, you'd first have to find out how to upgrade to 22.10 from the archives, then upgrade to 23.04, then you can upgrade to 23.10.

If "I couldn't care less about the OS, as long as I have VLC and smplayer" why are you bothering? Maybe because Discover has shat itself stopped working, I suppose. Doing updates with apt (sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade) might get you past the Discover problem.

Anyway, it will be far easier just to install 23.10 over the 22.04. Please have decent backups. I'd try an "unclean" install first, where you are careful to not format or wipe anything; it's a long time since I did that, but it might work well.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                22.04... and you are trying to upgrade?
                OMG, I was wearing my good glasses, honest !!

But, yeah, complaining about a "forced" upgrade, when there isn't actually one, lol!

apt-get install ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
                Code:
                ​$ do-release-upgrade
                The above tries to run the distro upgrade tool, which by default is set to not offer any upgrade until the next LTS release.
                As mentioned, here is zero upgrade path at all from 22.04 until next year, now that 22.10 has passed on the EOL status.
                Last edited by claydoh; Oct 14, 2023, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Yep. Thanks all. Chalk this up to another Charlie Davidson's PEBKAC error. As mentioned , Discover suddenly installed, popped UP (You have zxy days to upgrade), so I did, and it spent an hour or two going through all the montion's, only to end up at same version.
                  If it's confusing the beeJeevees out of me, what about someone new to Linux. I've convinced several people to change OS's only to find Kubuntu is acting like Crapple and M$.

NOW Change of topic, just a quick one.
                  I was reading last couple of days since I attempted to wipe and update, that a regular here in the forums, commented weekly backup's and the occasional annual upgrade, with a "full backup"
                  Whom was this person, and exactly what methods of back ups where you doing.

NOW me Complaining AGAIN....
                  I know I've asked before on how to save your current desktop settings, and someone suggested something that I installed (on the taskbar) but before I wiped-updated it wouldn't work. All I got was who and when it was written, but no other actions.
                  I wasn't in the mood to spend days searching for another method... I've got a feeling it would make a difference anyhow as KDE or something else is blocking "Legacy" stuff anyhow.,
                  All the new options on how things look like the Launcher are craptacular anyhow.
                  It's like Firefox or Thunderbird. Update now, and they completely screw up the interface with the only option to "download" someone else's version of a "look", and those looks are fuggly. (Australian Adult singers term.. Kevin .B. Wilson"

Kinda why I really miss WinXP. At least they didn't change how it looked or the interactiveness of the interface. NOW. It's like "lets do something new, based on Tick-Tock's most popular cat video... Grrrrr.
                  SORRY I'm angry again, since the upgrade didn't just work, and all my files are on an external drive. Firefox. Thunderbird, Legal Documents, etc

Comment

[QUOTE=CharlieDaves;n674773]

NOW Change of topic, just a quick one.
                    I was reading last couple of days since I attempted to wipe and update, that a regular here in the forums, commented weekly backup's and the occasional annual upgrade, with a "full backup"
                    Whom was this person, and exactly what methods of back ups where you doing.

IS this what you do??
                    [HTML]https://askubuntu.com/questions/1255461/create-bootable-backup-system-image#[/HTML]

Comment

I do backups, routinely. And I do a backup just before I do a clean install of the latest LTS release. The important phrase here is "do backups". Do it for your important personal data and configurations. Do it routinely. Do your backups to external, USB devices, and keep your backups in a safe place - NOT PERMANENTLY ATTACHED TO OR INSIDE YOUR PC/LAPTOP.

My laptop is set up such that I have a single NVME (1 TB) that contains separate partitions for EFI, /, /home, and SWAP. I have used that configurations for several years, even when I had multiple physical drives when I used a desktop PC. I only backup my /home (along with /opt). My backup target drives are three (sometimes more) external old spinner drives each in its own enclosure and connectable to the laptop via USB. My backup software is rsync. Each backup drive is a unique label (Backup1, Backup2, etc.) that shows up when the drive is mounted upon attaching to the laptop.

I have a text file with the complete rsync command in a string for each unique external drive. I plug in the external, it mounts and shows in Dolphin, with the label name. I go into konsole, copy/paste the applicable rsync string for the specific drive, and start the rsync command. When the rsync run is finished, I unmount the drive in Dolphin, pull the USB cable, stick a printed label on the outside of the enclosure and put the enclosure away.

You can use an rsync based GUI product to do your backup, there are many such apps. I do not make an image of the data to be backed up, as I have from time to time needs to do a simple copy to restore some file. I do not backup to a partition within my installed Kubuntu - if the drive fails, the backup is very likely gone also. I do not rely on a a recovery file made by the filesystem (i.e., BTRFS) nor do I use software the makes recovery files on the Kubuntu filesystem(s), for the same reason. That said, I have nothing against those who use BTRFS - it's a good filesystem, I simply prefer ext4.

This process works for me, probably not for others. I would not "require" that you follow my example, but it is an example, among many different approaches. Whatever you do, make backups to external, independent target devices and keep them separate from your laptop/PC, and DO that routinely.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.
                      Last edited by jglen490; Oct 26, 2023, 08:38 PM.
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                        I do backups, routinely.
                        So do I. I use <crap it's gone since update> but some backup program. I do a weekly and then a monthly of larger files like VM's

I was more interested in the above mentioned method. MAINLY, and ONLY MAINLY the "restore" part. There are hundreds of "backups" and less than 1% have an actual "How to restore" guide.
                        I was hoping that
                        jglen490
                        would be kind enough to share how you do your backups, and how you cope with or perform restores. As The link describes it's a backup of the OS drive.
                        Since moving the home drive, a lot of "settings" have returned like window size & position and backgrounds, FireFox and Thunderbird, without configuring them

Q. why /opt ?
                        Q. How do you restore /opt ? cp, mv ?

I'll step down off my soapbox now.
                        Nah. Leave it there. I might need to use it later on

Thanks to jglen490

EDIT=== <crap it's gone update> is Lucky Backup. Utilizes Rsync, as I am not type a bunch of commands and screw something up like normal like selecting wrong drive.
                        Last edited by CharlieDaves; Oct 27, 2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Resolving this as it has been resolved. started new Backup OS Thread.
                          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...able-usb-drive
                          Thanks to all that read and replied.

Comment

I do backups, routinely. And I do a backup just before I do a clean install of the latest LTS release. The important phrase here is "do backups". Do it for your important personal data and configurations. Do it routinely. Do your backups to external, USB devices, and keep your backups in a safe place - NOT PERMANENTLY ATTACHED TO OR INSIDE YOUR PC/LAPTOP.
                            For sure!
                            I take a snapshot (my BTRFS system has /@home in /@ and is not a separate subvolume) every evening before I shut down. And, just before I do any experimentation with my coding projects, or before I add or remove an app or piece of hardware that requires a software change. All of my backup snapshots are ro so they can be moved to another subvolume, but I keep a rw @rwrootfs snapshot on /mnt as well.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I do restores of data files when it's needed. It rarely is needed, but when it's needed and it's not available then I'd be screwed. That's why I do backups to external devices that are NOT permanently connected to my operational system. I don't deliberately restore data, unless it's needed, and even then it's usually just a few files; unless I seriously screwed up, or have had a hardware failure.

Restoring data is different from recovering data. BTRFS and other means of capturing change, and even parts of data files, such that when you change something and that something goes wrong/south/sideways/kablooey you have a means of recovering the former condition of that file as if the change never happened.

As I said before, I don't use BTRFS and I have neither a dynamic data set nor rapidly changing software. I use ext4, it's been around for decades - about as long as people have been predicting its demise, actually. It's robust enough for my use, and is neither complex nor demanding of attention. I work as a contractor on a very dynamic and rapidly changing government software system. We are moving to an x86/RHEL environment that uses a BTRFS filesystem and is managed by a gaggle of SAs. My personal Kubuntu does not, and has never in any way born any resemblance to my professional system. I've chosen Kubuntu LTS and ext4 precisely because of the nature of the two, and it will ever be thus.

But back to backups and restores. Backup like your life - or at least your data - depended on it. And then hope you never have to restore anything. If you believe you need to have a recovery method, because you understand that your system could become unstable due to change, then by all means explore ways to capture change and recover from that change. Just understand that these are two very different processes - change capture/recovery, and backup/restore.

Comment

Working...
                              X