No announcement yet.

kubuntu 22.04 with 4k monitor setup reverts to "default" cursor and positioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 22.04 with 4k monitor setup reverts to "default" cursor and positioning

Followup to the large cursor from a previous post:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...t-after-update

For some reason on every reboot, the default cursor theme "half" sets to breeze dark size 48. the main cursor is whatever is set, but the right click cursor defaults to breeze dark size 48. no matter what cursor is set and applied, the right click setting never survives a reboot.

The cursor behavior appears fine on a 1080p setup.

In a mixed setup - one 4k monitor and one 1080p monitor, the 4k setting takes precedence and the right click cursor is also set to the breeze dark size 48 default on every reboot.

Also in the mixed setup, the application menu on the 4k monitor and all new windows "appear" where the bottom of the 1080p monitor would be. Windows sizes are also limited to 1080p height.

For example, if the 1080p monitor is top aligned with the 4k monitor, the application menu and new windows all appear in the middle of the 4k monitor. this makes it impossible to use the application menu in the 4k monitor if other windows are crossed in the "focus follows mouse" setting. When the focus shifts, the application menu goes away.

The solution I found to this is to set the 1080p monitor aligned with the bottom of the 4k monitor, and all windows now behave without any problems - new windows spawn with proper height (remembered last size) and at the position under the mouse. ( I used to be familiar with the setting names like focus follows mouse and window spawning geometries, but they seem to have changed behaviors? - different topic though)

Ideally the behavior would be to save the settings for reboot, and for the window spawn geometry to either not care about which monitor is being used, or to intelligently pick a "good" size for the monitor where the window will appear. Window spawning on a mixed monitor setup is probably pretty rare, and my mismatched setup is using the extra monitors laying around - the ideal setup would be 2 4k monitors, which still has the issue of not remembering right mouse click setting.

thanks
Working...
X