Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Thunderbird Tag button gone after update

Thunderbird users ...

After a recent T-Bird update (via Discover), something changed that I'm trying to change back to the way it used to be.

Tags.

Let's say I'm looking at the Inbox and I highlight an email there.
    Before this update, to place a Tag on that email,
    there was a button called "Tag" to click (located on the main toolbar);
    then from a drop-down list, you simply choose the tag you want (like Important, Work, Personal, To Do, Later, etc.).

Now, after that update, there is no Tag button on the mail toolbar.
    You must use your right-clicker to get a tag on a highlighted email.

I've tried all sorts of ways to get that Tag button back on the mail toolbar, but nothing has worked.
    Nothing came up yesterday on a google, probably b/c this is a new update with several new changes.

Anyone else notice this and have a solution?​
    Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 06, 2023, 07:03 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Try a right-click on the menu/tool bar bar, then click customize?
    This is how you add/remove button from Firefox, so Tbird should be the same.\

From their docs;

Last edited by claydoh; Oct 06, 2023, 07:36 AM. Reason: found image

Comment

Yeah, I tried that several times, but it is not placing that Tag button anywhere, even though the Tag is an option on the customize screen.
      (And I did close T-Bird afterwards and re-opened it )
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

No idea. I don't use it, but I was able to drag buttons as desired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231006_094741.png
Views:	173
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	674275

Comment

Hmmm, well I solved it, but somewhat surprisingly:

On the Menu bar (File, Edit, etc.), rt-click, and hit the Customize (as we talked about).
          I selected the Tag button option from the list of options.
          And I dragged that button to one of the only two places it gave me an option to drag it to: on either side of the search window:
          - - - - - - -[Search window is here] - - - - - -

I put the Tag button here:

- - -Tag - [Search window is here] - - - - - -

... and it stuck OK!

It's a bit inconvenient up that high, but it beats the rt-click way of applying tags to mail pieces.
          (Maybe I can drag that Search Window line down somewhere ...)

Thanks for taking your time to look at this, claydoh. You gave me the idea of doing a drag (not being 'in-drag,' mind you ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            it beats the rt-click way of applying tags to mail pieces.
            everyone has different motor amd muscle memory. etc.
            I myself prefer to use the right click for that stuff (and most *everything* in general), since my mouse is doesn't have to move very much to add labels, move to a folder, etc.
            But I don't use Tbird, so I can't say how involved their right click is.

Comment

Rt- click would be 4 "steps" (or maybe 6 'movements' if you wish to see it that way):
              highlight the email to be tagged
              right-click on it
              go down to "Tag" and over to the right and down to the tag you want to place
              click that tag

The other way is 3 steps and a little easier on the motor skills (for me).

Comment

Working...
              X