Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wimlib tool - wimlib-imagex split & optimize

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post my question, but hopefully it is okay!

I am trying to create a bootable Windows 10 USB disk (32GB) from within Kubuntu 22.04.3. I can download the ISO from MS without issue, but the ISO is 6.1GB. The ISO is "Win10_22H2_English_x64v1.iso" When I try to copy the mounted ISO files to the USB in FAT32 mode, it fails. I understand the FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB, and it seems that the issue is with the "install.wim" file, which is 5.2GB.

Whilst this problem is a common read on various forums, I have seen a few solutions for users with a Linux only system. One of them is to split the install.wim file into 2 or more files, using a tool that can be downloaded from within Linux, called "wimlib" (Link for reference: https://wimlib.net/). The other option would be to shrink the file, using the same app. The two commands are: "wimlib-imagex split" and "wimlib-imagex optimize".

Apparently, this app is very similar to Micosoft DISM tool.

I have a few questions about this method:

1. Has anyone had much experience with this app and is it trustworthy?
    2. Would the use of this app cause any issue with the future install of Windows?
    3. Could the app insert malicious code (malware) to the split files?
    4. If malware was introduced, would Windows even boot/install under SecureBoot systems (hashes or signature issue)?
    5. Is there a better way to get Windows ISO to work on USB flash drive by using Kubuntu?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,

Darryl​

wimlib stuff is less relevant today, and has (for me) always been hit or miss . Mostly miss, by a wide margin, actually.

You basically just need to format the USB as exFat, which supports larger files, then mount the ISO, and copy the contents to the USB.
    You can download and add a Dolphin service menu that mounts images
    This usually works, but not always.

Another option is to install ventoy to the USB, then you can simply drag-and-drop ISO images to it, and they are all bootable.
    I use this to keep a general purpose install/repair stick with a couple of relevant Linux ISOs, plus Windows 10. They all boot fine for me.
    Last edited by claydoh; Sep 13, 2023, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Hi claydoh​, Thanks for your reply. I will check Ventoy out!

Comment

I have a handy Ventoy USB like Claydoh (No need for 'burn to USB' carry on, just copy the iso with dolphin.) I'd like to point out that a Ventoy USB can boot in UEFI or legacy BIOS mode, one has to make sure it doesn't boot in the wrong mode.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X