Is it safe to remove Discover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to remove Discover?

I haven't had the best luck with it, I've had it crash and hang several times and had it spam me with "please restart" notifications after updating the kernel or something.
    Can I safely remove KDE's Discover or is it integral to system functionality? If so, what's the correct way to remove it?
    Last edited by Thwompin; Sep 04, 2023, 07:46 AM.

I would not do it myself, but it might not be a big deal, I dunno. I found terminal cmds below that will remove it. You can always reinstall it. (I even saw where Discover will remove Discover)

https://www.thelinuxfaq.com/ubuntu/u...type=uninstall

I might be late to give my 2 cents, but I will share my experience with Discover on Ubuntu 22.04 (low latency). Discover wanted to full upgrade my linux nvidia system. I learned enough to know it might mess up the nvidia proprietary driver. I tried to find a way to stop these updates in Discover, found no way. So I only used Muon Package mgr who gave me that option to stop certain updates. Feeling confident one day, I thought I wonder what Discover would do if I allowed that update, well it updated and only allowed one resolution with one driver and ruined all the previous kernels so I could not boot up on them, only recovery kernels -NO PROPRIETARY graphics driver would work with any of them. I had to reinstall the entire system. So from that day forward, I never use Discover for anything if I can help it. I learned to use the terminal to update packages, and I use Muon for graphics drivers. If I were you I would keep Discover, but I would not use it, unless I wanted to install a game or something. *(It was on Ubuntu Studio (lowlatency) 22.04 that this occurred on. My Kubuntu 22.04 system I do not allow Discover to touch.

Comment

I removed it on my Kubuntu, but I use it on my Bookworm. I prefer muon over Discover because its search function finds stuff that Discover can't, but Discover flags updates and muon doesn't. Mostly, however, I use the apt-get on the CLI for most stuff.

Here are Discover's dependents and reverse-dependents.

$ sudo apt-cache depends discover
      discover
      Depends: libc6
      Depends: libdiscover2
      |Depends: debconf
      Depends: <debconf-2.0>
      cdebconf
      debconf
      Conflicts: <discover1>
      Suggests: lsb-base
      sysvinit-utils:i386
      sysvinit-utils

$ sudo apt-cache rdepends discover
      discover
      Reverse Depends:
      libdiscover2
      |bootcd

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have for a long time been a Muon fan but since I got this Lenovo X1 carbon 13rth gen. I see some advantages in Discover.
        This does not mean I will remove Muon.
        But neither of the two gives me the full options to update this laptop, I had to use the knowledge of this site to get all the updates:
        https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/thinkp...xtreme-p1-gen2
        The problem was Discover telling me there were updates but it refused to install them, only following the fwupdmgr​ commands of the above website would fix the issues.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 05, 2023, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X