Trying To Install And Configure folder-color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying To Install And Configure folder-color

After spending so much time trying to install and configure folder-color and changing all the folder colors I finally thought things were working correctly. Everything looked great until I realized that the only way you can see the change of the color of the folders was if you used Nautilus. Nautilus is the file manager of the GNOME desktop environment and I’m running Kubuntu with KDE Plasma and using the standard Dolphin file manager that comes standard in Kubuntu.

I tried dolphin-folder-color and kde-color-folder-2.0.2. I don’t think that they’re doing much. It does change some folder colors on it’s own but you can’t change the colors the way you want like you can in Nautilus. In Nautilus you can actually see the change you made but trying to make a short-cut to Nautilus is impossible so I have to type it in every time. I guess I will just accept it as it is but I was a little disappointed after looking at the beautiful and color pictures of the directory folders. It is supposed to work in any Debian/Ubuntu distro but it doesn’t work well in anything other than any Ubuntu distro that doesn’t use the Nautilus file manager.

I tried using folder-color-yaru but I was not having luck getting that one to work at all. I must say that it has been at least 3 years since any updates have been done to either folder-color & folder-color-yaru.

I like the idea of having easily identifiable folders based on wildly different colors that makes bouncing from folder to folder much easier once you remember the correct color for the correct folder.

I think I’m going to uninstall folder-color and try installing folder-color-yaru again and see if I can make it work. I hope that these fine applications/tweaks will see new life some day and return to working order. It really is a nice addition to Kubuntu and I’m not big on tweaks and widgets.

I don’t know? Maybe I just complain too much? How would you like some cheese with that whine?

This what it looks like. Not too many colors. Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder Color.png
Views:	127
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	672874

Comment

For KDE Plasma before 5.24.x (because 5.24 introduced coloured folders - or was it Frameworks 5.88…?) you could also use Breeze Chameleon Light (https://store.kde.org/p/1298508/) or Breeze Chameleon Dark (https://store.kde.org/p/1281798/).
      Later Plasma versions include the functionality for the Breeze icons and their colours in -> System Settings -> Appearance -> Colours

edit: If you want to give a specific folder another colour (or icon) right click on it -> Properties -> click the icon

If you want to use the Papirus icon set instead here is a possibility to change its folder colours: https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmen...apirus-folders
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 27, 2023, 05:39 PM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

OK - I just realized you were talking about the program folder-color (https://github.com/costales/folder-color) to colour single folders at first.

This is for certain GTK-based file browsers only: "A file browser extension for choosing the color/emblems of a folder/files in Linux (Nautilus/Nemo/Caja file browsers)."
        This one does not work in Dolphin, because it was not written for it…

Perhaps I will look up the other two (dolphin-folder-color and kde-color-folder-2.0.2), if I have time - are they supposed to work with Plasma 5.24.x / Gear 21.12.3 / Frameworks 5.92 (the versions in your Kubuntu 22.04)?
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 27, 2023, 06:48 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I knew the other ones were not working in Kubuntu but I thought that kde-color-folder-2.0.2. would. I don't even think that papirus-folders is working correctly and I followed the instalion directions. You don't realize how handy it is to have a differant color for every folder or nearly every folder. I can't get it working any better than what you see in the picture. Thanks again.

Comment

The Dolphin service menus dolphin-folder-color and kde-color-folder are 6 and 5 years old and I just swiftly read in different places that they simply don't work anymore in current Plasma versions.

If you don't find a newer alternative I think you will (at least temporarily) have to use the possibilities in -> Properties or contact one of the authors.
            Or write a Dolphin service menu for this purpose yourself (if you are good at programming).
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 27, 2023, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              The Dolphin service menus dolphin-folder-color and kde-color-folder are 6 and 5 years old and I just swiftly read in different places that they simply don't work anymore in current versions.
              Yeah, I’ve read similar things. I was hoping that they would bring it back because I think it’s useful.

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              Write a Dolphin service menu for this purpose yourself (if you are good at programming).
              Me good at programming? Oh, heck no! I had a hard enough time with basic and editing my config.sys and autoexec.bat files back in the day.

Comment

Working...
              X