Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Dolphin search content in pdf files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Dolphin search content in pdf files?

I have pdf files that are searchable with Okular but the Dolphin search does not find anything when I activate "Content". Do I have to install a plugin? Thanks

May I recommend recoll

It is an extremely good search utility and is resource light. It does exactly what you are wanting to accomplish.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by gustavo1998 View Post
      Dolphin search does not find anything when I activate "Content". Do I have to install a plugin? Thanks
      Have you waited for it to index all of your files? I use the search function to find content in PDF, doc, and odf files very regularly. You do need to wait for the indexing for content to be searchable.
      You should be able to see the status for this in System Settings.

Comment

Thanks. It was indexed already. I figured out that Dolphin cannot search for sub strings. It finds "Webspace" but not "space" in a pdf.

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but... two questions:
          # The indexing is Plasma wide right? It'll be used by Dolphin as well as Krunner and Okular, right?
          # If yes to the above question can it be used with Gwenview too?

Comment

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
            The indexing is Plasma wide right? It'll be used by Dolphin as well as Krunner and Okular, right?
            Okular searches any text within an opened file, it doesn't have file search functions .
            Krunner/Application launcher are using it, if their shared settings have not been changed.
            Gwenview also has no file search function at all, Digikam can provide that, but it uses its own database, so you can have files anywhere (and is cross-platform)

Now, I imagine that they could somehow incorporate a search function into Plasma's file picker (used by most KDE applications) but I don't know how complicated or difficult that would be. I imagine it would be a nightmare to do without making the thing overly complicated and buggy

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X