Google Chrome broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Google Chrome broken?

Google Chrome on Kubuntu 22.04 is completely broken on my laptop as of this morning :-( It was working fine yesterday evening. The whole canvas is glitching and most of the text is white on white background (i.e. invisible). It is unusable. This issue only affects Chrome as far as I can tell - all other apps I have tested this morning (including Firefox, Thunderbird, Konsole, etc) all work fine.

I have just tried installing Chromium and that works fine.

This is perhaps related to a similar issue reported this morning with the Brave browser:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...to-have-broken

I have reported this to Google in addition to posting here.

System info:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-72-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620​
    Last edited by timt; May 26, 2023, 02:56 AM.

Since two days I had the same problem, I only use Chrome for Microsoft Teams as the Teams version for Linux is no longer available.
    Other websites were also blank or nearly blank.
    But because I kept an older .deb of Teams I could still install it and it had exactly the same problem, a blank screen.

Then I asked google if others had a same problem and one person was able to fix it by removing /~config/google-chrome from their /home.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1339...n-small-window
    I renamed it to google-chrome.old and restarting Chrome brought it back to life.
    Of course all setting were lost but at least it works and so does the old Teams .deb...

Comment

Thanks Teunis! Removing .config/google-chrome solved the problem for me. I already have Chrome syncing my settings, so they were all restored automatically when I opened it up after removing the config dir.

Comment

Good to hear, in my case the problem might have been caused by a hard shut down (with Magic Keys) when the desktop failed to display after I changed video driver.

Comment

I think I had a similar problem with the flatpak chromium version, 113.0.5672.126. There were horrible flatpak errors. I removed chromium in Discover and something asked me whether to delete some files, and I clicked yes. On reinstall of the exact same version it runs fine. I lost the minimal settings changes I'd made.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X