Need help resetting gpg key for Docker Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Need help resetting gpg key for Docker Desktop

Last July I used Docker Desktop for a one-time project. I set up an encryption key for the project so I wouldn't have to enter a password every time I did something. The project is over and I deleted everything on my system from that project (or so I thought). I have since replaced my system SSD with a new one and ported my home folder into a fresh install of 22.04. Evidently, when I ported my home folder, I also ported in the requirement to use that key with Docker Desktop. I have forgotten the password. And I cannot start any new projects because every time I type "docker compose up" into the terminal the first thing it does is ask for that password. When I fail to provide it, it fails with the code `error getting credentials - err: exit status 1, out: `error getting credentials - err: exit status 1, out: `exit status 2: gpg: decryption failed: No secret key```

I have tried deleting the gpg key and doing so causes Docker Desktop to fail to to open. So I need to change whatever is causing Docker to ask for that key so that I can start a new project.

I vaguely remember setting up Docker to use that key. I used the `pass` command in bash.

This is a write up I did at the time describing the process of how to do it:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/53912/i-try-to-add-passwords-to-the-pass-password-manager-but-my-attempts-fail-with/710215#710215​

I have created a new key and made it the system default, but Docker wants to use the old key.

What I would like to do NOW, is completely wipe out everything associated with that key such that I can begin new projects with Docker again. I have no requirement to be gentle with my OS.

I'm basically lost now and have no idea what I'm doing.

Help?
    Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; May 13, 2023, 11:43 AM.

I came up with a plan to fix this but as I remembered the password at long last the plan will not be tried, at least not by me this time.

The plan was:

1- re-backup my home folder, this time excluding the `./.docker` folder from Duplicity.

2- Then uninstall and purge everything docker, remembering to delete the `./.docker` folder.

3 - Delete the forgotten key

4 - Reinstall Docker Desktop (after re-purging it - double tap)

I don't know if that would have worked.

Stuff I tried that did NOT work:
    Deleting the key - Docker Desktop refused to start
    Revoking they key - DD still wanted the password
    Making a new key and making it system default - DD still wanted the old key

Comment

Working...
    X