Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ever since i installed, i have seen this cryptic message before the splash screen shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ever since i installed, i have seen this cryptic message before the splash screen shows

ever since i installed (kubuntu 22.04), i have seen this cryptic message in the terminal, before the splash screen shows, which says:

Code:
    [0.141477] x86/cpu: VMX (outside TXT) disabled by BIOS
    [0.141481] x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS
    [12.318340] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 2, error -62
    [23.326326] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 2, error -62
    (screenshot attached)

it has been happening every time i boot or reboot, and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything that i can see... which sort of makes sense, since it appears to be enumerating things which won't work...

what does it mean? why have i never seen it before 22.04? can i enable things in the BIOS (or wherever) so that this message won't appear? should i?
    Attached Files
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

For line 2 see: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...053#post667053
    Intel SGX is mainly targeted at enterprise and rarely used in Linux.

For lines 1, 3 and 4 search for them in the internet - you will probably be able to adjust some UEFI/BIOS settings and/or settings for e.g. GRUB.
    Line 1 could refer to x86 virtualization…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 08, 2023, 01:41 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Sometimes they just let some (mostly) harmless messages leak through, depending on the kernel build.

1 and 2 are stating that these are disabled, which for desktops at least, is as far as I can tell, a normal default setting in the BIOS.
      I don't think that enabling them, if available, will actually remove any messaging. It didn't on my new board.
      it is fine, and can be ignored.

3 and 4 could be indicating a bad USB device, or bad cable, but it could be something else as well.

You can find which USB device it is from the lsusb command

bus 002 Device 004, or whatever matches the messaging.

If that thing is actually working fine, you *can* suppress the messaging, but it could also hide some potentially useful ones.
      You need to edit grub to do this:

1. Open '/etc/default/grub' in Kate/Kwrite

2. The line with 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT', add loglevel=3 :

Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash'
      Change it to this:

Code:

Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash loglevel=3'

Then save the changes and close it, now open a terminal and run:

Code:

Code: