This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is kded5

I was about to do some work on the wife's computer and this box popped up which says kded5 and asked me for passwords.
    What is it?
    How do I get rid of it?
    Is there a way to delete/remove it?

Never seen this before.
    Greg
    W9WD

kded5 is a "service daemon" that does tasks for your desktop environment. You cannot delete it, because your desktop environment depends on it.
    You can get a litte overview/information about many of those programs you don't know, if you enter e.g. apt info kded5 in the Konsole terminal emulator.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I've never seen it before.
      Why now?
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

kded has been a component of Plasma going back to at least the KDE 4 days, if not earlier.

What seems to be happening is that the popup is using 'kded5' as the name of the object that is seeking the password entry, instead of the actual application or service that is doing so (by calling kded5)
        Which of course makes it difficult to see what is actually wanting a password, without more context and sleuthing.

Comment

Working...
        X