Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] A question about Kate

So Kate, my prefered text editor
    I've noticed that my linux PC can read text files i've created.. But I sent a text file to someone else who couldn't read it after opening it.
    they were using Apple Iphone
    I've also tried on Windozes, and I get total rubbish.

Q- What "format" or whatever it's called do I change to make my text files compatabile with other OS's ?? When I upgraded to 22.04 it did ask me what format or what somethine-a-rather to use. I just clicked OK or Yes, on whatever was highlighted in the long list.

If I am making sense here?
    Thanks Group. Enjoy-joy your April 1st.

What does "total rubbish" regarding the display of text on other systems mean? Just the line breaks? All characters look like they have been written by a Martian?

What are your settings for Kate in -> Configure Kate -> Open/Save -> General ?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 27, 2023, 07:24 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Any chance of a sample? That is, some text that other OS's have had trouble with.

This shouldn't be a problem these days, UTF-8 rules.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        What does "total rubbish" regarding the display of text on other systems mean? Just the line breaks? All characters look like they have been written by a Martian?

What are your settings for Kate in -> Configure Kate -> Open/Save -> General ?
        Or Chicken Scratchings as I refer to it, but yeah basically gibberish.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Any chance of a sample? That is, some text that other OS's have had trouble with.

This shouldn't be a problem these days, UTF-8 rules.
          https://imgur.com/8qwnBkz

Like this. It was it's default, but doesn't help much for others.
          Happy Easter to all and once again, thanks to the community

Comment

I think that they were asking for a sample of the actual gibberish you are seeing. Also, what sort of files/filetypes are we talking about, as well.

Comment

Yes, not a picture or screenshot, a file that kate has saved that has problems in the other OS, or even a little text pasted into a post.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                I think that they were asking for a sample of the actual gibberish you are seeing. Also, what sort of files/filetypes are we talking about, as well.
                Yep, I understand... I actually didn't see the gibberish. I was told, days later that they couldn't read what I sent. One person thought I had sent a virus. Another told me to stop using your stupid computer (He was referring to Linux OS), and for me to get an iPhone like He has. The remaining people just asked, "What did you send us?" some a little more colourful than others.

It is why I asked.

I had written part of my tribute, and it was to much to copy and paste, and I use Libre Writer, they use MS Word Cloud, or Apple iPhone <insert name here>.... So I sent it as a text file. I actually put .TXT on the file, even thou Kubuntu doesn't care if you do or don't do. It still knows what to open THAT file with, without the extension. Nice feature.

For those that read this, and those whom replied, Thanks, but until I know more, I think we can stop this Thread now. If I get screen shots I'll upload them, but I think everyone has deleted what I sent.

Comment

If you created a file in Libreoffice, just save it as doc or docx, or even pdf.
                  and odf file from LO can be opened in MS office, and Google docs, iirc, though a phone probably won't be able to.

I will guess your 'foo.txt' file is just a renamed libreoffice odf file? These, much like an MS doc file, are much more complex than a simple, plaintext file (.txt), and most definitely look like a mess if opened in a simple text editor.

Here is one of mine opened in kate:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230407_205519.png Views:	0 Size:	695.2 KB ID:	669807

So, save the file in LO as docx, or better, use PDF - which is probably more universally readable on mobile as well as computers.

In LO: File>> Export As >> PDF
                  For MS .doc or .docx, File>> Save As>> and change the document type in the file chooser.

Then make sure it opens on your phone, to check it before you send it.
                  Last edited by claydoh; Apr 07, 2023, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Clahdoh.
                    It took my brain several reads to realise LO = Libre Office.
                    &
                    I am now saving as PDF, to sent to people, or COPY and Paste into an email as text.

As I wrote, i didn't see the actual gibberish, but I was told "others" couldn't read it. I was making notes in Kate Text Editor, at the time, as I open and closed other things. It was late, Dad was just moved to Palliative care, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X