WIne 8 .desktop files do not work in Open with context menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] WIne 8 .desktop files do not work in Open with context menus

Installed Wine 8 successfully, but when setting the open with the wine app in the list, it doesn't work. How can I rectify this issue?

By giving us more information. "the wine app" is what app?
    I installed Winew8 on Kubuntu 22.04 and it works well. I created a menu entry for my EKG app and here is what is in the command text box:
    wine '/home/jerry/.wine32/drive_c/ECG Data Manager/ECGDM.exe'
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      By giving us more information. "the wine app" is what app?
      I installed Winew8 on Kubuntu 22.04 and it works well. I created a menu entry for my EKG app and here is what is in the command text box:
      wine '/home/jerry/.wine32/drive_c/ECG Data Manager/ECGDM.exe'
      Apologies for the late reply, I was hoping for an email notice of a reply. The second apology is about being overwhelmed. The last eight years I only used Linux Mint Cinnamon, and KDE is a learning process like everything else.

Wine apps are Windows apps to me. Installed TextPad 8 and Irfanview. Configured each to be the defaults for specific file mime/extensions. (txt, jpg, png) They show up on the context menu as the default app, but selecting them does nothing. Their link also appears in the "Open with" of the same window and that link works. Double clicking the file name doesn't work either.

I have a lot to learn and absorb.

Comment

"$ wine --version
        wine-8.0
        ~$"

What does your system give you?

Here are the applications I have installed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wine_apps_20230328_160035.png
Views:	106
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	669477 What is on your system?
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 28, 2023, 03:02 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Apologies for not replying. I had to abandon this until I recover from an unrelated SSD failure which I replaced. Now I am slowly reinstalling everything as it was before.

Comment

GreyGeek, I hope you didn't lose any sleep because of this suspended post.

Currently, I am working in Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1, which is like an old girlfriend who left Kubuntu, but still maintains some ties, though not for romantic reasons. I am familiar with the differences between these two as far as my use is concerned, and I have the same problem in both. I am using Irfanview, and Textpad in Wine 8.0.1 without any problems. Successfully created .desktop files for my wine apps, but don't know how to add them to the 'Open with' list. Can you help me please?

Comment

Working...
            X