This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz

Hello! I know it's rather unpopular, but I'd like to use compiz (or more importantly, emerald) in kubuntu 22.04. I have installed emerald, and tried emerald --replace, but that does nothing at all. The only way I can get it to actually work is by running the fusion icon manually or adding it to startup. This, however, causes quite a bit of flicker. I would ideally like to use emerald by default, requiring no --replace command since this goes off after the initial decorations, causing flicker. If that means using compiz as default, I am totally fine with that. Problem is, I can't figure out a way to have it set by default other than the flicker-inducing methods. Any ideas??

Thanks

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/smaragd maybe?

Comment

I actually have that installed. In previous Kubuntu versions, after installing smaragd and emerald, it would give me a "smaragd" option under window decorations and i would select that, and use emerald to apply the theme. It has not shown up there this time. I did compile smaragd from the most recent source.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Comment

Looking harder into it, this is some output from cmake for smaragd, it still compiles but does not work. perhaps this is why. how do i meet these dependancies?

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
        kde4-config: command not found
        CMake Warning (dev) at /usr/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:438 (message):
        The package name passed to `find_package_handle_standard_args` (PkgConfig)
        does not match the name of the calling package (Cairo). This can lead to
        problems in calling code that expects `find_package` result variables
        (e.g., `_FOUND`) to follow a certain pattern.
        Call Stack (most recent call first):
        /usr/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:99 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
        cmake/modules/FindCairo.cmake:24 (include)
        CMakeLists.txt:16 (find_package)
        This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

Installing in . Run /home/amiga/Downloads/smaragd-master/build/prefix.sh to set the environment for smaragd.
        -- Configuring done
        -- Generating done
        -- Build files have been written to: /home/amiga/Downloads/smaragd-master/build

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
          This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.
          These are usually ignorable to us mere mortals.
          Warnings are not errors in this situation, usually.

But looking at the dates on the git page, outside of automated translation items, there has been little action on the code in some time.

Comment

These are usually ignorable to us mere mortals.
            Warnings are not errors in this situation, usually.

But looking at the dates on the git page, outside of automated translation items, there has been little action on the code in some time.
            Then perhaps is easier to use compiz. I have it installed and it works, but causes screen flashing because it has to replace kwin thats already running. I guess i need compiz to be default but dont know how

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
              I guess i need compiz to be default but dont know how
              I am not even sure if this is possible these days.

Ok, it is:
              https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE...window_manager

Comment

Ok, it is:
                I will give this a try though i don't totally undersand the method. I do have compiz installed and it works so thats half the battle. Now to make it default.. will post an uodate later.

Comment

Ok, it is:
                  In that link it uses a term, "Mask" that i don't understand. when i click the word, it doesn't say anything about mask? so not sure how to proceed..

"To replace KWin in this startup, you must first mask the plasma-kwin_x11.service for the current user to prevent it from starting."

Does it mean comment it out in a script? Stop the service?​

Comment

With systemd this would mean something like: systemctl mask plasma-kwin_x11.service
                    But I could not find a "plasma-kwin_x11.service" in my VM - the only way I presently could have a quick look at Kubuntu 22.04, sorry
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                      With systemd this would mean something like: systemctl mask plasma-kwin_x11.service
                      But I could not find a "plasma-kwin_x11.service" in my VM - the only way I presently could have a quick look at Kubuntu 22.04, sorry
                      muon

Oh! Alright I see.I will have to look into that and figure out which it is. Then comes the next question of what i put in the file it asks me to make in the like posted above. it does show a part where it says /path/to/wm/ and i can probably figure that out in muon easy enough, but not sure how to fill it out with the details i need x.x

Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        I Actually can't find it either!

Edit: I found kwin in journald though, for whatever that's worth
                        Last edited by Oderus; Mar 23, 2023, 11:35 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

I solved this by adding --user to the systemctl command The path/to/wm/ i used /usr/bin/compiz --display and using systemctl enabled it. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                          X