This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bash shortcut behaves differently, need to restore previous functionality

Okay, I've been dragging my feet on this since 20.04, and finally decided to address this. I assume this is just something I have to put in bashrc to fix. Anyhow, when I do "ctrl-l" to clear the current screen without clearing the scrollback history, it used to be that when I did this, everything scrolled up, and previous commands were preserved in the scrollback buffer until I closed konsole or that tag, or did a clear. Now if I do cltr-l, it wipes out everything that as on the screen, but leaves anything that's already scrolled off the screen. I'd like to switch it back to the way it was in 18.04 where it just scrolls everything up and 100% preserves the scrollback buffer like in the old days. Anything I can do to fix that? A setting or something? Or is that just the new bash behavior and it can't be changed, meaning I'm SOL at this point?

I suspect bash now does the equivalent of the "clear -x" command, which zaps the history on the screen. But you can give scapegoats to be cleared, so to speak:
    Code:
    bind -x '"\C-l": "for ((n=1;n<LINES;++n));do echo;done;clear -x"'
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Does this go into .bashrc? Or would it go in .bash_profile, or both?

Comment

It's very bash, so in .bashrc.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Yarr, that did the trick. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X