Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Autoremove packages - should I ?

Hi,
    Recently when I added a package to my system on the CLI, the process displayed a message to the effect that I had dozens of packages that could be removed using, if I remember correctly, "sudo apt autoremove".

I am concerned that doing so might break/brick the system. Should I just go ahead with the aforelisted command or is there some preparatory work to do first ?

Stuart
    Last edited by stuarte; Mar 31, 2023, 05:30 AM.

Yes, it is normally safe. These are packages that were dependencies of things that have been uninstalled at some point, or after kernel cleanups when a new on is installed.
    If unsure, you can investigate the ones being offered and see if they seem important. Or just post the list, and we can help you look at them.

Otherwise, they are not doing anything much, good or bad, other than using disk space.

But, along with errors and other warnings, this could be showing a dependency problem or breakage. If you have any errors or sever warnings along with this list, THAT is when you need to get help looking at the situation before proceeding.

Comment

Working...
    X