update-notifier-common is stuck in Discovery Software Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] update-notifier-common is stuck in Discovery Software Center

update-notifier-common stuck in Discovery Software Center. Update and upgrade shows everything is current. Have manually removed and reinstallled update-notifier-common. If I uninstall the Discovery Software Center the error goes away. When I reinstall it the error comes back. The Synaptic and Muon package managers both work normally. No error messages. The culprit, without a doubt, appears to be the fault of the Discovery Software Center. I'm out of ideas to remove the error. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I run Debian on a VPS, Arch on a Raspberry Pi and Raspian on another Rasberry Pi. All 3 are rock solid. Never had a problem with any of them so far. They just work. I have had nothing but issues running anything based on Ubuntu. So far I don't see what all the hype is about. I'm spending more time trying to fix things than I am actually using my computer. Might be time to move on to another distro. Sorry about the frustration but this is starting to get old real fast. Here's the error message I get every time I log in. Nothing from my previous post fixes it:

Code:
    Failed to update 1 package
    Error while installing package: installed update-notifier-common package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1​

Originally posted by dwh367 View Post
    Here's the error message I get every time I log in
    Try switching the Software Update settings in System Setting, and un-check "Use Offline Updates", if you have not already switched that off.

Originally posted by dwh367 View Post
    I run Debian on a VPS, Arch on a Raspberry Pi and Raspian on another Rasberry Pi. All 3 are rock solid. Never had a problem with any of them so far. They just work
    Those systems and those OSs are 100 times simpler than a normal computer and OS, with far fewer moving parts (minimal driver sets, far simpler kernel configs, very minimal bootloaders, just for beginners) They well should be more solid

But if this one issue, if caused by this offline-update feature (and imo a poor choice as a default setting by Kubuntu, and thus no way an Ubuntu-caused issue-- for a change) is the major issue......move on. Do what you gotta.
    We actually understand the frustration. Many of us are here because of similar headaches on other distros, and Kubuntu was the better of the bunch, for us. It may not be for you.

But I will wager that there is a good enough chance that the other similar types of distros will find some way to be annoying.
    I have yet to find one that doesn't, at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      […]
      But I will wager that there is a good enough chance that the other similar types of distros will find some way to be annoying.
      I have yet to find one that doesn't, at some point.
      Very wise words! And they are true for Windows, macOS, ChromeOS, etc. too.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 02, 2023, 09:45 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Try switching the Software Update settings in System Setting, and un-check "Use Offline Updates", if you have not already switched that off.
        Actually I had to do just the opposite. I already had to uncheck offline updates, and set updates to manual, during a previous troubleshooting session. I had forgotten about that. Seeing your comment made me dbouble check it. I guess it just goes to show a solution can sometimes be found just by talking things out. When I rechecked the offline updates, and turned automatic updates back on, the problem fixed itself on the next reboot. As always thanks again to all for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X