This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backups volume doesn’t implement mount

Thought I'd try backups in my nice new Kubuntu 22.04.
    I want to back up files to a usb memory stick.
    I get 'volume doesn’t implement mount' error.
    Any advice would be welcome.

What backup tool?
    Sounds like a component is missing, or hasn't been loaded yet

Comment

Its also called 'Déjà Dup Backups'

Comment

Also called ' Kup Backup System'

Comment

Which one is it - Déjà Dup or Kup?
          Déjà Dup is a seperate program (not installed by default in Kubuntu), Kup is implemented in System Settings -> Backup…

Can you copy files to your USB stick in Dolphin without problems?
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

From the error, I will guess Déjà Dup, as I see this error come up occasionally in the distant past doing a quick search. Dunno why, but I am not familiar with it. If you have not rebooted since installing it, I would try that. The Gnome bits it uses may not have loaded or something.
            Also, is your usb stick mounted? You may need to check that it is. You should be able to click on it in Dolphin or the tray widget to make sure it opens, just to be sure.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              The programme is called 'Backups' in the application launcher, in the system tray 'KUP' is shown and in the applications 'About' tab its called 'Déjà Dup Backups'. Confusing?
              I have been backing up some files manually to the usb stick so that's OK.
              I have read of some problems with Samba mounts(quite a while ago) but I don't think this applies to this situation.

Comment

Yes, confusing.
                Kup is a KDE application, but it does not run as a standalone app, it runs from the system tray (seen as 'Backup Status') and from System Settings (under 'Backups') to configure.
                So there is no application menu for this one.
                I think this comes standard with Kubuntu nowdays?

Deja Dup is Gnome's tool for the same sort of purpose.
                It looks much simpler to use, though KUP is not very complicated, and has fewer features overall.
                I could not reproduce this myself. It worked just fine. I don't use Samba, so only the stock smb stuff is installed, though I wonder if yours was trying to scan for shares or something?
                There are no options to the program at all, but it seems perfect for the purpose.

I like-ish KUP, and use it with multiple backup scheduling schemes, as its feature suite my purposes, but it isn't perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Yes, confusing.
                  Kup is a KDE application, but it does not run as a standalone app, it runs from the system tray (seen as 'Backup Status') and from System Settings (under 'Backups') to configure.
                  So there is no application menu for this one.
                  I think this comes standard with Kubuntu nowdays?
                  Yes, it does come standard nowadays.

[…] I don't use Samba, so only the stock smb stuff is installed, though I wonder if yours was trying to scan for shares or something? […]
                  I would allege that there had to be a Samba-share already mounted somewhere to provoke this error message with Samba as a cause…
                  Or at least one had to point the backup program to something like "network" as it is possible in Dolpin to get this error message.

Do you have mounted any network shares?

And do you insist on using Déjà Dup or would you consider de-installing it and trying Kup from System Settings or at least a backup program based on Qt like Back In Time (and not on GTK infrastucture like Déjà Dup…).

See https://launchpad.net/~bit-team/+archive/ubuntu/stable
                  and
                  https://github.com/bit-team/backintime
                  if you are interested in Back In Time.

Sorry that this is no "real" solution for your problem, but more of a way to work around it…
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 08, 2023, 12:31 PM. Reason: typos and added second link

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Even more confusing now!
                    Applications Launcher/Utilities/Backups launches this:-
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	186
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	668403

The 'about' tab say its 'Déjà Dup Backups'

Now, the icon in the tray, as you say, brings up 'backup status' but Right-Click shows 'configure KUP..."

Am I right in assuming that all these are either relating to each other or are the same thing?

Comment

Well, this confusion is mostly caused by the weird naming schemes the Gnome guys and girls use…
                      Déjà Dup is called "Backups" as a program name, another example would be "Files" in Gnome - which "in reality" is the file browser Nautilus.

The program you use is definitely Déjà Dup

Did you check in System Settings if Kup is additionally activated?

Comment

Originally posted by bill-lancaster View Post
                        Am I right in assuming that all these are either relating to each other or are the same thing?
                        No, they are two completely separate backup tools. You already had KDE's tool installed as part of Kubuntu.
                        Deja Dup is the Gnome tool

Kup, as mentioned, will not have a menu entry, as it is not a standalone application. You set things from System Settings, and access some parts from that tray icon.
                        it is just that Gnome labels its tools in the menu as 'Backups', and Plasma also sort of call theirs 'Backups' in System Settings.
                        They need have different application names, of course, but they want the obvious thing to show up in menus, settings, and search.

If you didn't have deja dup installed, and searched the menu for 'backup', you would find KDE's tool show up, which would open System Settings , as the menu search also searches System Settings, and other items as well.
                        If you search for that term now, you will see both , which does not help things.

This is , imo, because too many idiots complained about all the G-this and K-that, so now we can't have somewhat understandable names

Aaaand having said that, there already is Kbackup.

Comment

This is , imo, because too many idiots complained about all the G-this and K-that, so now we can't have somewhat understandable names

Aaaand having said that, there already is Kbackup.
                          Which leads me to express my K-
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X