2 issues re my recently installed Ubuntu 22.04.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 issues re my recently installed Ubuntu 22.04.1

As occasionally happens, an attempt to solve one problem reveals other problems. My recent successful attempt to solve a color printing problem revealed 2 more issues. They are:

1. This one concerns Ubuntu 22.04’s printer settings. Thanks to Jlittle, I’m now aware of driverless printing. It seems to me that Ubuntu’s printer settings should tell me whether my HP Color Laser Jet Pro M277dw printer is printing driverlessly or via a driver. If it’s using a driver, then shouldn’t the printer settings name that driver? The settings enabled me to search for a driver. I did search, and the result was, “No suitable driver found.” Claydoh told me that his printer settings name his driver. I wonder why my printer settings leave me in the dark re my printer’s mode of printing (driverlessly or via a driver named XYZ).

2. My software updates may not be working properly. I say so because I just ran the software updater, and it downloaded some data. It ended by telling me that the software on my computer is up to date. I then launched Synaptic, and it tells me that HPLIP is installed on my computer. It shows the current version and the latest version to be the same, namely: 3.21.12+dsfgo-1. But 2 days ago Jlittle said, “In the release notes for HPLIP, it says Ubuntu 22.04 is supported by HPLIP 3.22.6, which is the version in my 22.04 ….” I just searched the internet for “HPLIP 3.22.6”, and I found (at <https://sourceforge.net/p/hplip/news/2022/06/hplip-3226-release-notes/>) this item “HPLIP 3.22.6 Release Notes”, which says that it “Added support for following new Distros:
    • Mx Linux 21.1
    • Ubuntu 22.04
    • Fedora 36
    Those are the Release Notes that Jlittle mentioned. Surely HPLIP’s version 3.22.6 is more recent than HPLIP 3.21.12+dsfgo-1. So I wonder why the software updater, which I just ran, did not update the HPLIP package on my computer.

I will appreciate any thoughts you may have on either one or both of these issues.

My apologies, I think I confused a 22.10 Kubuntu install with a 22.04 one.

You can install hplip 3.22.10 by downloading it from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i...nting/gethplip. I would do a backup before installing it, though. I installed on my work 22.04; it took about 10 minutes and seemed to do a lot of stuff.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Jlittle, that's OK. If you re-read my post, you will see that the Release Notes I quote say that HPLIP version 3.22.6 “Added support for following new Distros:
      • Mx Linux 21.1
      • Ubuntu 22.04
      • Fedora 36"
      As you see, the Release Notes mention "Ubuntu 22.04".

Comment

Just because HP added the 22.04 distro to Hplip compatible list does not mean that ubuntu dev's have updated it on the repositories. Usually newer version of hplip do not get added unless it represents a security update. The hplip version will stay pretty static with LTS releases. If you want the latest hplip you will have to download it from hp and manually install it. The current version of it in the repository is 3.21.12. or you can add the following ppa and it will provide 3.22.
        Code:
         sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/hplip -y
        . I would say your update manager is not broken. It can not supply packages that are not in the repository. Good luck.
        Last edited by kc1di; Feb 02, 2023, 03:59 AM.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

To kc1di, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
          X