This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave browser Snap

I have a folder in my home directory called "snap", it is taking up a fair bit of space. Periodically my Brave browser says something along the lines of "snap update pending, 10 days left. Close browser to avoid losing data" or something to that effect.

What is snap, and how can I disable it, as it appears to take up some substantial room. I do not store my downloads there, although initially that was the default save location.

Many thanks.

Snap is a packaging system for Linux developed by Canonical:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_(software)

Snaps (and Flatpaks too) are a containerized "format" to run software - with many of the advantages and disadvantages of a container.

If you have snapd installed on an Ubuntu distribution (like Kubuntu), a snap directory is created within your home directory.

You can disable snaps, but you will have to replace the software installed as snaps either by installing it via traditional package management or by Flatpaks (by default in Kubuntu the only snap is Firefox, but in your case you will have to reinstall at least Brave too).

Personally I prefer traditional package management, you would have to follow the instructions on https://brave.com/linux/#release-channel-installation to install Brave traditionally and there are several threads in this forum how to disable/deinstall snaps and/or install Firefox traditionally.

I am quite sure you will find something about disabling snaps and replacing them with Flatpaks in this forum, too.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 09, 2022, 09:16 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Many thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X