No announcement yet.

Ran upgrade from 20.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS; now VirtualBox is trashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Ran upgrade from 20.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS; now VirtualBox is trashed

I ran the upgrade, and it would seem that all Linux-based apps are in tact and running just fine. However, I can no longer run most Windows apps. VirtualBox will no longer run any of the operating system I have set up under it. A couple OSes are AntiX Linux and Puppy Linux. These ones are not important. I only installed them to check them out. However, I also have two installs of Windows 7 under VB, one of which is very important. The other one was just a backup I created to test a few things.

I would really like to get that one really important Windows 7 install working. When I attempt to run it, I get the error that you see in the screen shot at the end of this message. That install of Win 7 has all of the important Windows apps I want to run. There are several, and I've configured Win 7 to my liking.

I'm hoping it's possible to re-install VirtualBox and then somehow re-link it to that one Win 7 install. Is a particular OS install put in a certain place, and then I can somehow link to it from a fresh VB install? That would be cool. Just that one Win 7 install is important. Those other OS installs are unimportant and can go away.

Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Dec 12, 2022, 01:46 AM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

What version of Virtualbox, and how was it installed originally? Officcial Ubuntu sources, or directly from Vurtualbox?

have you followed the directions in the message at all? The Virtualbox community experts are probably the place to go for the quickest, best knowledge on this sort of thing.
    What does that image file VBox.png show?

fwiw uninstalling the software won't remove the virtual machines, at least as far as I recall when I used it last. So removing the old version and installing the new should be doable, but that of course assumes that this is the actual issue.

Comment

You should try installing VirtualBox 7, it comes with many improvements and works like a charm.

https://tecadmin.net/how-to-install-...-ubuntu-22-04/

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        […] I'm hoping it's possible to re-install VirtualBox and then somehow re-link it to that one Win 7 install. […]
        Konsole:
        Code:
        sudo apt reinstall virtualbox virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-qt
        reboot
        After the reboot start VirtualBox, check the version in the menu (or do so in Konsole with apt policy virtualbox) - 6.1.38 is the current one in Kubuntu 22.04 iirc - and install the according extension pack via menu if needed (I always do) - Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.38.vbox-extpack for VirtualBox 6.1.38.

Copy the whole directory of the virtual Windows 7 machine into your home directory -> Virtual Box VMs directory (create it if it doesn't exist already).
        In VirtualBox select "add machine" in the menu and point to the .vbox file in the directory of your virtual Windows 7 machine (in the directory Virtual Box VMs).

Repeat the last step for any other virtual machine you wish to add.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 08, 2022, 01:18 PM. Reason: typos
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Thanks a ton, everyone. I've got this bookmarked, and am going to use this info to fix this up on Sunday. Each day until then (including Saturday) is a 10-hour work day, so I'm best off leaving it alone until I have a day off to work with it.

I appreciate all of your help. Now I know what to do.
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

Working...
          X