X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPG key throws an error even though it is deleted

After running this command (with the intent to delete the specified key):

sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg del F987627F

and running sudo apt update I still receive an error saying that a public key is not available for the key I just deleted. I want to stop receiving that error message and solve the root issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 04, 2022, 08:46 AM.

What the heck, My eyes are not too good at reading this lol

But, deleting a key definitely is NOT going to fix a key error. Especially when we don't know what that error is.
    A software repository requires one​, so deleting a key probably does not fix any problems.

Please post that error message, so we can better see what is needed. With a normal black text, please
    The full message very likely provides the necessary info needed, and point to a proper fix. We are looking for the added repo or PPA that this key was associated with. This is what is looking for that key
    Last edited by claydoh; Dec 04, 2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

My apologies, here is the error message:

GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu kinetic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F

Comment

so for now you wil;l need to remove the winehq repository you added

or read and follow their directions completely and fully

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Winehq key problems

W: GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/ ... NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F

Currently, the Wine servers are being synchronized. This means that some users still getting the older .sources file. If you get this warning, edit the winehq-<distro>.sources file and replace /usr/share/keyrings/ to /etc/apt/keyrings/.​
        Most likely this edit is already done.
        The sources file looks to have this change by default now, so editing is only necessary for previous installs, mainly for older *buntu releases.

Mirror sync in progress?

If you get an error message when trying to install a package from WineHQ that includes the line Mirror sync in progress? that is most likely the problem. There are many packages to sync, and it can take a long time to complete.

Wait a few hours, and try again. If the problem persists for more than a day, file a bug.​

I suggest deleting the winehq repo, and seeing if things are OK afterward, and hold off on messing with Wine for a bit. Wine HQ is either awesome, or a steaming pile of poo in my own experience
        delete the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-kinetic.sources
        Update, and see if there are errors.

WineHQ is either awesome, or a steaming pile of poo in my own experience
        I tend to recommend looking at Lutris or Bottles, or anything that uses separate non-system independent wine implementations.If those mess up, just nuke that specific app or directory, and nothing mucks with your OS.

Comment

Thank you for your assistance, I followed your instructions and I no longer receive error messages when running an update. I did still receive KGpg error messages on startup, but I did not need the program anymore so I deleted it.

Comment

Working...
          X