Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble installing apps after upgrade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble installing apps after upgrade...

Since just now, upgrading from Ubuntu 20.04 to Kubuntu 22.04 I am finding myself struggling to get way too large a number of my regular programs installed (at least installed in a properly working condition).

The excellent file comparison program, 'Meld' installs but crashes when you actually attempt to compare files with it, Arduino IDE shows its splash screen but then refuses to open its main window and won't run and Pronterface just refuses to open at all. I am wondering if this is something to do with the upgrade to 22.04 or something to do with my change from gnome to KDE.

Whatever is causing it, it isn't ok. I need these apps.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on how to get them up and working.

It most likely is going to be from the upgrade, having Plasma mixed with Gnome can cause oddities and minor conflicts, but not usually things that keep applications from opening or running correctly.
    You need to start them from the command line and see what errors are barked out.

Pronterface is one of those community-supported Universe packages, directly imported from Debian. I found a bug report
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1975947
    Other distro might be facing similar issues

For Arduino (also a Universe package), it probably may be better to get it from them directly, in a more current version
    https://www.arduino.cc/en/software

meld, I dunno. Use KDiff3 lol j/k
    This one again, is one of those community-supported packages, and directly imported from Debian
    But this one might be as simple as it's packaging assuming some Gnome or gtk bit is installed, that isn't in Kubuntu or other Flavour. A long shot but I have seen it before.

But opening these last two from the command line hopefully reveals some clues.

Comment

Thankyou for the information. I have since got the Arduino IDE working by scrolling down in the reviews to find a fix (Hope this helps someone else). Meld, it seems, has never worked (at least since I've been using linux) for single file compares (so I have lost no functionality here, just functionality I thought I had...lol). I am still stuck with no Pronterface though, which I need in order to send individual command line commands to my 3D printer. I have found it invaluable while re-programming and reflashing it. Anyways... hopefully I will find a solution.

Comment

Alternatives for Meld: Aside from KDiff3 (or the simpler Kompare - quite good for quick single file comparison) the upcoming KDE Gear 22.12 will include a new version of Kate that can compare things:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ru3cQx2QDI

22.12 Gear's Kate will probably be in Kubuntu 23.04 and most certainly in Norbert Preining's Debian KDE Backports and in openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE.
        I don't know if there will be a backport for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS although I hope so.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 19, 2022, 10:18 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thankyou very much for your help.

I have given up and managed to get much of what I need working through running windows versions in wine. I know this goes against the linux ethos but one of the things I find enviable about other operating systems is the ability to posses my own installers which never go away (they are mine forever) and which can be for any previous version of the program I choose.

I know you can download the files for linux programs directly from the the ubuntu repos and keep them and rumour has it that the apps can be installed directly from the files you procured in this manner... however, I have not been able to get it to work.

Comment

Arduino IDE is officially available as an appimage for Linux:
            https://www.arduino.cc/en/software/

This is a very easy way of "installing" a program and keeping it (or even different versions) forever (if I understood correctly what you want…).
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by MusicalCoda View Post
              but one of the things I find enviable about other operating systems is the ability to posses my own installers which never go away
              If one NEVER removes the downloaded .deb packages, then they remain available on your PC. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY WOULD BE INSTALLABLE INDEFINITELY. At some point, the version of the downloaded .deb package won't be compatible with the version of the OS you are running.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X