Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with Plasma (Wayland) on Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with Plasma (Wayland) on Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

I have a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 GPU if that matters and I tried setting up wayland on my normal Kubuntu installation. Once wayland is installed properly, i switch from Plasma X11 to Plasma Wayland, and it works kinda okayish in the login.

After logging in, i see a black screen, i dont think it takes long for my desktop to load since it loaded after i moved my mouse cursor. Now to my issues which makes wayland unusable for me.

Apps/Items on my desktop lag behind my mouse cursor or my live wallpaper freezes whenever I am not moving my mouse. Once I am moving my mouse, my live wallpaper also moves, so I guess things arent rendering properly if I dont move my mouse.

The terminal and the browser (edge browser) seem to work "fine", but it doesnt feel that responsive or that great how I heard, so I guess I must be doing something wrong, or it just doesnt work for me.

A User told me to go ask here because there might be people here that could help, so I hope i can actually get help here to truly see what Wayland can do.

Thank you for your time.

Wayland and nvidia is still hit-and-miss.

Have you installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers? if so, which version? You may need a more current or 'beta' release of those.

if you haven't, adding Kubuntu's backports PPA to get some more fresh Plasma updates might helps some.

otherwise, there is nothing lost in using Xorg (unless you are using a convertible touchscreen laptop. maybe)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Wayland and nvidia is still hit-and-miss.

Have you installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers? if so, which version? You may need a more current or 'beta' release of those.

if you haven't, adding Kubuntu's backports PPA to get some more fresh Plasma updates might helps some.

otherwise, there is nothing lost in using Xorg (unless you are using a convertible touchscreen laptop. maybe)
      Yes, I use the proprietary and tested nvidia driver 515

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I switched to Wayland to try it out because I heard it was faster than X11. I'm running a stock KDE Neon User Edition with Plasma 5.24.5 and I noticed two things. The screen images are deeper and richer than X11, which may be due to the fact that the screen resolution under wayland defaulted to 1920x1080 instead of 1600x900. And, my desktop appears to be a little faster, too. Maybe by as much as 2X. Apps just snap to the screen when I click their menu icon button. My graphics chip is Intel's gen 11 IRIS Xe.

Some have complained that they have some apps that do not run well or at all under wayland. That may be, but I do a lot of Python programming with Jupyter Notebook and the Spider 5 IDE, which have no problems under wayland. Neither does my multimc Minecraft, the Universe Sandbox^2 or the two other apps from Steam that I occasionally run. POP-OS! runs nicely under the qemu-kvm VM, as did Mint 21. Videos on YT, Odysee, and all the other video sites I visit run nicely. KDEconnect works fine. OBS runs great. Basically, every program I have, including the WINE heart monitor app, runs without problems.

But, as usual, YMMV.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X