X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume fading up and down

Hi,

I recently installed Kubuntu. I really really love it. Really. I've been using Linux since the 90s, mainly slack. This is the first time I have used Kubuntu and it's been probably half a dozen years since I tried KDE. All I can say is it's a whole new world and it's pretty awesome.

So the one thing I am struggling with post install is a very strange audio problem. The volume for example will be normal and then it will fade to quieter. It doesn't go silent but the volume noticeably decreases. Then after a variable amount of time probably no more than 25 seconds the volume will fade up again. There is no regularity to how often this happens and I don't see volume sliders moving up or down.

While I like to beat up on my system by nature this one is pretty vanilla because, like I said, everything pretty much works. I haven't installed anything without using apt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to KFN. Specifications of your PC might be helpful.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's a Dell vostro 3500 but I have had multiple distros installed on this laptop and none have shown this issue. The more I listen to it the more it seems like either it is automatically reducing the volume when the audio hits a certain point like headphones sometimes do. Or it's like some other program is doing something which is taking over part of the sound. Really strange.

Comment

Thanks for your response by the way. I'm really loving Kubuntu and this is pretty much the last thing. Everything else just worked

Comment

The volume seems to be adjusting downward as the music increases in volume. The more the music swells the more the volume goes down. Then when things are quieter the volume goes back up.

Comment

I'm now almost certain that it is reacting to changes in the music volume. I just listened to a song who's loudness continuously increases throughout the song and the actual volume produced kept being scaled down as the music should have been getting louder. I hope that makes sense. It's like it's trying to protect my ears from loud noises. Where would something like this be controlled?

Comment

Working...
            X