KDEConnect voice to text in KDE not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDEConnect voice to text in KDE not working

I use KDEConnect often. Today I stumbled on a Youtube video demonstrating using KDEConnect remote input to do voice input directly into applications in KDE.

But, when I start the remote input, tap the keyboard, tap the microphone, and talk, nothing happens. If I tap keys on the phone virtual keyboard, that works, so KDEConnect is communicating. But if I start the Google voice thingy it's there, but no input occurs. I've tried several different keyboards, including the Google voice typing one, Gboard.

I can start anything else that accepts text on the phone, and dictate stuff, then either save it to a text file on the phone that KDEConnect lets me see in Dolphin, and get the text from it, or copy it to the clipboard that KDEConnect synchronizes with KDE, but those methods are not quite as convenient.

My phone is a 4 year old Vodafone-branded ZTE, running Android 8.1. KDEConnect has all the permissions it requests.

Any ideas?
    Regards, John Little

At the moment, I can't even get remote keystrokes to work, though using the screen as a touch pad does. I kinda assumed it was an Android thing, as I recently upgraded to A12. it used to work in the past, but is something I haven't used much at all. I have never had voice working via KDE Connect. But again, it is not something I have spent any time on.

Even pulling out one of my older phones (apps not updated in some months), neither voice or typing work, for me.

Comment

Lol, I forgot I have been using Wayland for over a year now, I am sure that is my issue, I am betting.

Comment

Alas, I can't get voice to work, either. Typing works as expected, in xorg.
        speaking now hello is this working

I lie. it sort of is ^^^^^^

I have to run, but Ill grab some screenshots an post them in a bit. it was not intuitive .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.png
Views:	228
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	664518 Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	223
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	664516 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	219
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	664517

I needed to select the icon as shown in the second image, tap the screen to bring up my keyboard, then click the microphone icon to record. The hit the Send button as seen on the third image. No speech as you go, as you would by typing after clicking the KB button. Probably a good idea lol. My LG keyboard's voice button is greyed out unless I am in the "Compose send" section, and Gboard hides it while there.

I found I could also use the LG keyboard, which also uses Google Voice.

Comment

Thank you, that works, I just expected it to work directly. (From my Scottish father I have a rhotic accent that Google understands quite well.)

Not the best in an open plan office, though, as I've just found out.

I found I could also use the LG keyboard, which also uses Google Voice.
            I'm hooked on Swiftkey*, which has a microphone button.

* Swiftkey's prediction is amazing. For example, I've had it switch seamlessly from English to German politeness ("Bitte") to French politeness ("C'est rien"). Alas, it got bought by Microsoft, who have been slowly spoiling it.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              Thank you, that works, I just expected it to work directly. (From my Scottish father I have a rhotic accent that Google understands quite well.)
              Cool!
              Voice recognition works ok for me, but my generic-ish American accent is tainted by multiple accent influences, mostly New England (Maine) Yankee+ Southern drawl, which seems to confuse it some times. or at least I'd like to think that is the reason.
              It will be really confused when I (finally!!) make may way to Australia

"Y'all cahnt git they-ah from he-yah, might."

Comment

Neat!
                Never knew KDEconnect could do that!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X