This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome Calculator broken?

Kubuntu 22.04 clean install. Kcalc no use for my purposes as it doesn't keep the number string for eg addition etc, simply adding/subtracting and giving the result. Installed Gnome Calculator from Discover but this version 41.1 doesn't resize beyond a minimal amount, the outside resizes but the calculator doesn't. Trying to use this, the numbers disappear and can't be seen unless using the scroll bar. In Kubuntu 20.04 I used Gnome Calculator 3.36.0 which did everything I needed, including the window resizing.

Is this a new feature of Gnome Calculator 41.1 ? Is there a way of making it resize properly? or is there a way of installing Gnome Calculator 3.36.0 on Kubuntu 22.04?

At the moment, I'm having to use my mobile phone to get work done, but it's ruining my work flow.

Thank you for reading this far

Lenovo Thinkpad x230 Core i5vpro, 4G Ram, 320G HDD, Intel HD 4000.
    Running clean install of KUBUNTU 20.04 after years of running Ubuntu 18.04 then a week running Sabayon.
    Running clean install of KUBUNTU 18.04 after a couple of months running ArchLinux Manjaro

Originally posted by Incomputent View Post
    Installed Gnome Calculator from Discover
    That might be the reason; installing from Discover. Try reinstalling it from the command line. Open Konsole and type: sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-calculator
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      That might be the reason; installing from Discover
      Not a likely issue, as discover is using apt to install the package.

My initial guess is a gnome/css theming issue, or just a general bug.
      The self-contained Flatpak version also exhibits this behavior, so I am leaning towards a bug.

Kcalc should have an option to show the history, though it does not show the calculations in the main window, possibly useful, but probably not. it is why I don't often use it. My own workflow is better using my phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220801_123110.png
Views:	126
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	664497

Qalculate might be a better fit?

Comment

Thanks all, I already tried installing via sudo apt etc earlier today, I now have 2 identical versions of the useless Gnome Calculator.

I'll have a look at Qualculate, but it doesn't look as clean as the Gnome Calculator sadly. It's partly about being able to position the calculator and number string in such a way that I can check for errors in the string and make alterations as I make alterations in the document without having to retype the whole thing, so basically I'm missing that flexibility.

Claydoh - it's interesting that you too are using your phone calculator as well for better work flow, it's a sad day when you can't find a decent workable calculator on the computer though. And it's disappointing that a version of Gnome Calculator that worked so well has been 'improved' so much that it is now unuseable !
        Lenovo Thinkpad x230 Core i5vpro, 4G Ram, 320G HDD, Intel HD 4000.
        Running clean install of KUBUNTU 20.04 after years of running Ubuntu 18.04 then a week running Sabayon.
        Running clean install of KUBUNTU 18.04 after a couple of months running ArchLinux Manjaro

Comment

Originally posted by Incomputent View Post
          Claydoh - it's interesting that you too are using your phone calculator as well for better work flow, it's a sad day when you can't find a decent workable calculator on the computer though. And it's disappointing that a version of Gnome Calculator that worked so well has been 'improved' so much that it is now unuseable !
          For me it is because I am left-handed, semi ambidextrous, so I can have a phone, tablet, or even an external number pad on the left. I normally use a compact keyboard, or a laptop, so don't have a number pad unless I pull out my 'gaming' keyboard. Plus I have used the same app for almost as long as I have had a mobile phone, lol.

Luckily there are dozens and dozens of calculator programs for Linux, if you dig around.
          You have two instances of the calculator because one of them is a Snap package. (you can uninstall one or both, of course) There is also the similar Flatpack system, and you might search for calcs on flathub as well, for more ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X