21 packages held back and not upgraded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 packages held back and not upgraded?

This morning I tried to do apt update/upgrade and there are 21 packages being held back. I'm running Kubuntu 22.04 and I've been upgrading regularly.
    Code:
    The following packages have been kept back:
    gnome-software gnome-software-common gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
    gnome-software-plugin-snap gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
    libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc-devtools libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev
    libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libspeechd2 locales
    python3-distupgrade python3-gi ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
    ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
    I've tried dist-upgrade, but nothing changed.

Any idea what is going on?

Any hints or clues from the output from apt full-upgrade (or the old apt-get dist-upgrade) showing above what you posted?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Any hints or clues from the output from apt full-upgrade (or the old apt-get dist-upgrade) showing above what you posted?
      Code:
       sudo apt full-upgrade
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree... Done
      Reading state information... Done
      Calculating upgrade... Done
      gnome-software gnome-software-common gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
      gnome-software-plugin-snap gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
      libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc-devtools libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev
      libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libspeechd2 locales
      python3-distupgrade python3-gi ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
      ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.

Comment

Probably there are still packages not fully uploaded to the archives.

Try using sudo apt -f install to see if there are any missing packages that these held-back packages may be looking for.

If that doesn't help, try manually installing one of the packages shown, and look for messages or errors there:

sudo apt install gnome-software

If you know that any of these might come from a third-party repo, like a PPA, you might try one of those first.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jul 29, 2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Probably there are still packages not fully uploaded to the archives.
          Sounds like that if I wait a few days, this will take care of itself. I have not installed any new software on this system in over a year, so updates are all I do. Maybe the system will get right at some point and I can install these updates?

Comment

Maybe, it might fix itself. But if not after a we days, or a week tops, we might need to dig a little.

Comment

I have a similar message with

Code:
              base-files gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
              gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio gstreamer1.0-tools language-pack-en
              language-pack-en-base libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0 libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0:i386 libgstreamer1.0-0
              libgstreamer1.0-0:i386 python3-gi python3-gi-cairo
              0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 15 not to upgrade.

Comment

If jfabernathy weren't in the US, I'd say check which server is shown in software sources. In some parts of the world sometimes the local Ubuntu server has a glitch and switching to the "main server" for a while can resolve it.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  If jfabernathy weren't in the US, I'd say check which server is shown in software sources. In some parts of the world sometimes the local Ubuntu server has a glitch and switching to the "main server" for a while can resolve it.
                  Actually, that is not a bad idea, as the particular US mirrors(s) that jfabernathy is being sent to could be wonky.
                  I did notice a momentary hiccup on whichever servers
                  I was connected to, actually got a 404 for a moment.

Comment

On my 22.04, I'm using the Server for United States and had no hiccups updating today.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      On my 22.04, I'm using the Server for United States and had no hiccups updating today.
                      There are dozens of servers, if not tons more in the US. And my hiccup was literally seconds, on only one component. Could have been my ISP, but all the others were fine . I *think* it was focal-updates, but not sure.

Comment

I did some apt -f install <package name> and got them installed without error or warning using archive.ubuntu.com instead of us.archive.ubuntu.com. At this point I'm not getting any more issues with apt update. We see what happens as the days progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                          I have a similar message with

Code:
                          base-files gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
                          gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio gstreamer1.0-tools language-pack-en
                          language-pack-en-base libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0 libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0:i386 libgstreamer1.0-0
                          libgstreamer1.0-0:i386 python3-gi python3-gi-cairo
                          0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 15 not to upgrade.
                          Just got a notification

Code:
                          base-files gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386
                          gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio language-pack-en language-pack-en-base libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0
                          libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0:i386 python3-gi python3-gi-cairo
                          The following packages will be upgraded:
                          gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer1.0-tools libgstreamer1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0:i386
                          4 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 11 not to upgrade
                          So I guess it's getting fixed maybe.

Comment

What info do you get if you do an apt policy for those packages? E.g.
                            Code:
                            apt policy language-pack-en
                            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Phased updates (https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/phase...in-21-04/20345 and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PhasedUpdates) is probably the reason. You can see the "progress" with, for example, apt policy locales or apt policy libc6 or some other affected package.

Code:
                              $ apt policy locales
                              locales:
                              Installed: 2.35-0ubuntu3
                              Candidate: 2.35-0ubuntu3.1
                              Version table:
                              2.35-0ubuntu3.1 500 (phased 70%)
                              500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages
                              *** 2.35-0ubuntu3 500
                              500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
                              100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                              ••• ~ $
                              For me, it was 50% about 8 hours ago,
                              Starting with this development release, with APT 2.1.16 to be precise, APT now implements phased updates. Previously, only update-manager implemented phased updates, and this was only used on desktops - the implementatio…
                              Last edited by chimak111; Jul 30, 2022, 08:14 AM.
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X