Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ubuntu/Kubuntu updater is very touchy and buggy. When will this be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ubuntu/Kubuntu updater is very touchy and buggy. When will this be fixed?

I tried both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 22.04 in a VM and I noticed when updating in particular updating SnapD doesn't update properly.
    Will this be fixed in Ubuntu/Kubuntu 22.04.1?

I noticed when updating in particular updating SnapD doesn't update properly.
    Can you be specific? What do you mean "doesn't update properly"? I assume you are getting an error? If so, please post that error here so others can see it. Not everyone may be experiencing the same problem so they may not know what you are seeing onscreen to indicate there is an upgrade problem. Also what happens when you update manually via the command line? Do you get the same errors?
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    This can help determine where the problem is.
    On another note:
    Sometimes failed installations can be fixed with the apt command.
    The general idea:
    https://superuser.com/questions/1386...broken-install
    Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 18, 2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• oshunluvr
      oshunluvr commented
      Editing a comment
      It is consider poor practice to use "sudo apt upgrade". The recommended command is "sudo apt full-upgrade" if one is using apt from the command line. The current advise is to use pckon like: this "sudo pckon refresh && sudo pckon update"

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
    Can you be specific? What do you mean "doesn't update properly"? I assume you are getting an error? If so, please post that error here so others can see it. Not everyone may be experiencing the same problem so they may not know what you are seeing onscreen to indicate there is an upgrade problem. Also what happens when you update manually via the command line? Do you get the same errors?
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    This can help determine where the problem is.
    On another note:
    Sometimes failed installations can be fixed with the apt command.
    The general idea:
    Well Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed correctly its just that when I try updating SnapD I've noticed problems. For example on Ubuntu 22.04 it says its updating but certain apps don't update but when I close the updater and reopen it then certain apps have been updated I think even SnapD though I believe I had to do reboot for SnapD. I didn't have to many issues with Kubuntu 22.04 a couple of hiccups was all at first but then I came back to it a week or two latter and it didn't want to update so I tried to shutdown the VM and it hung I had to do a force shutdown. Though in this particular VM I removed the Snap version of Firefox and replaced with the Deb version. I didn't do step four because I wanted FF to update via the update manger.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/...t-ubuntu-22-04

Comment

OK well I just went back into that Kubuntu 22.04 VM and I ran the:
      sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

Commands and I got an error message so I shutdown my VM and turned it on again this time those commands worked but Discovery Software is still showing that I have updates available and if I try to update them I get an error I'll show what it says:
      Cannot obtain lock:<br/><br/>E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run &apos;dpkg --configure -a&apos; to correct the problem.
      Heck I cant even install anything from the Discovery Software Center either. Its really weird.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
        sudo apt upgrade
        If you continue to use this command, you will (most likely) eventually run into issues with your installation. You are better served running sudo apt full-upgrade

See: man apt
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sudo apt upgrade
          be careful, you should use apt full-upgrade, as this will ensure that ALL apt/deb updates are installed, as using just upgrade (as is done in Debian) does not do so, in all cases. It is somewhat rare, but it does happen enough that it is safer to use full-upgrade.

Cannot obtain lock:
          This is fairly descriptive and accurate, though of course a bit cryptic. dpkg is a component of the apt command.
          Apt, and some other applications, make use a lock file. The presence of this empty file is there simply to keep multiple instances of of it from running at the same time. This would probably cause a disaster if it were to happen with Apt.
          Sometimes, apt is checking for updates, in the background, and of course opens a lock file. Opening Discover while this is going on, the lock file keeps it from checking apt/deb updates.

I shutdown my VM
          Depending on how you 'shut down' the virtual machine, I am sure this can have an effect on this, especially if that VM was running things in the background when you did so, and resumed after you restored or resumed it. Actually shutting down the OS from its start menu the same way you would a normal OS would probably help here. If you forced the VM off, that lock file might still be hanging around accidentally.

Also remember that Discover also manages Flatpak and Snap applications, as well as KDE theme stuff. Apt does not.
          it is likely that any of these you have installed have updates, and will account for Discover showing them when using apt does not.

Comment

I can confirm this issue has existed with Discover in the last 4 months, my experience: Shows there are updates, Goes through the motions of appearing to download and update, then says afterwards there are updates, and the same packages show they need updated. I gave up on it, disabled update notifications for Discover. I use synaptic or muon if necessary, but prefer updating manually at the command line. The packages are not flatpaks or snaps, but system packages and plasma/qt packages. I just don't like Discover, don't use flatpaks or snaps, so it was never a big deal for me personally. I can see if you want to use it how annoying it can be. Good luck on finding a resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              be careful, you should use apt full-upgrade, as this will ensure that ALL apt/deb updates are installed, as using just upgrade (as is done in Debian) does not do so, in all cases. It is somewhat rare, but it does happen enough that it is safer to use full-upgrade.

This is fairly descriptive and accurate, though of course a bit cryptic. dpkg is a component of the apt command.
              Apt, and some other applications, make use a lock file. The presence of this empty file is there simply to keep multiple instances of of it from running at the same time. This would probably cause a disaster if it were to happen with Apt.
              Sometimes, apt is checking for updates, in the background, and of course opens a lock file. Opening Discover while this is going on, the lock file keeps it from checking apt/deb updates.

Depending on how you 'shut down' the virtual machine, I am sure this can have an effect on this, especially if that VM was running things in the background when you did so, and resumed after you restored or resumed it. Actually shutting down the OS from its start menu the same way you would a normal OS would probably help here. If you forced the VM off, that lock file might still be hanging around accidentally.

Also remember that Discover also manages Flatpak and Snap applications, as well as KDE theme stuff. Apt does not.
              it is likely that any of these you have installed have updates, and will account for Discover showing them when using apt does not.
              Alright but Discover says I should enter dpkg --configure -a in the terminal. And I looked this up and this what I found:
              https://www.google.com/search?q=%26a...client=gws-wiz
              Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 20, 2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

When ever an "sudo apt full-upgrade" command fails to complete successfully and lists errors, there are two commands you should use several times.
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                sudo apt -f install

Generally, repeating those two commands several times eventually clears most apt or dpkg errors.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Generally, repeating those two commands . . . eventually clears most apt or dpkg errors.
                  Hence the reason I posted the link earlier:

Very important for any debian based user to know those commands. A lot posted there to research and learn. Will come in very handy when graphical tools fail.
                  Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 19, 2022, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    When ever an "sudo apt full-upgrade" command fails to complete successfully and lists errors, there are two commands you should use several times.
                    sudo dpkg --configure -a
                    sudo apt -f install

Generally, repeating those two commands several times eventually clears most apt or dpkg errors.
                    Thanks that fixed it for the most part except for Firetools/Firejail Configuration Tool. Which I installed from the Firejail website:
                    https://firejail.wordpress.com/download-2/

Comment

Thanks that fixed it for the most part except for Firetools/Firejail Configuration Tool. Which I installed from the Firejail website:
                      https://firejail.wordpress.com/download-2/
                      If a specific pkg is broken and blocks the proper functioning of apt then the following command will resolve it
                      dpkg --purge --force-depends somebrokenpkg
                      and repeated for each package that gives problems, followed by the two apt commands that clear thing up.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

If a specific pkg is broken and blocks the proper functioning of apt then the following command will resolve it
                        dpkg --purge --force-depends somebrokenpkg
                        and repeated for each package that gives problems, followed by the two apt commands that clear thing up.
                        Thanks but I used the Synaptic Package Manager to uninstall Firetools/Firejail Configuration Tool, and I installed it from from Discovery instead. It appears to be working now.

Comment

Working...
                        X