Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colour display problems in text of Global Menu widget (Kubuntu Backports)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Colour display problems in text of Global Menu widget (Kubuntu Backports)

Dear fellow Plasma and Kubuntu users,

after upgrading Kubuntu 22.04 with Kubuntu Backports enabled (ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports), a colour display problem in the text of the Global Menu widget occurred:
    If I use a dark Plasma style (e.g. Breeze Dark) in combination with a light colour scheme (e.g. Breeze Light or Breeze Classic) the text of the Global Menu widget is displayed very dark, nearly unreadable. This combination is the default setting in Kubuntu and I have liked it for many years.
    If I use a light Plasma style (e.g. Breeze Light) in combination with a dark colour scheme (e.g. Breeze Dark) the text in the Global Menu widget appears very bright, also nearly unreadable.

It makes no difference if I use the Global Menu widget in a Plasma panel, a Latte-Dock panel or the Application Menu Bar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	global_menu_dark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.1 KB ID:	663378

Click image for larger version  Name:	global_menu_light.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	663379

I tested this behavior of the Global Menu widget in different distributions, and only in Kubuntu 22.04 + Backports it does not work properly:

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04 + Kubuntu Backports (ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports)
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.94.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-33-generic (64-bit)
    KDE Gear Version: 22.04.1

-> Colour display problems in the text of the Global Menu widget with Plasma panel, Latte-Dock panel and Application Menu Bar - both tested in a "clean" install and a Kubuntu 22.04 upgraded from 20.04 to 20.10 to 21.04 to 21.10 to 22.04. Of course I created a new additional user, but the problem seems to have nothing to do with $HOME either.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-33-generic (64-bit)
    KDE Gear Version: 21.12.3

-> OK, no colour display problems

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11 + Debian Backports + KDE OBS builds from Norbert Preining
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 (64-bit)

-> My "daily driver": OK, no colour display problems

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220531
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.17.9-1-default (64-bit)

Operating System: Garuda KDE Dr460nized
    Qt Version: 5.15.4
    Kernel Version: 5.18.1-zen1-1-zen (64-bit)

Operating System: KDE neon 5.24
    Qt Version: 5.15.4
    Kernel Version: 5.13.0-44-generic (64-bit)

-> OK, no colour display problems - there is no Plasma style to choose from at present, but you can test it by changing the global design to "Breeze Twilight".

Any ideas how to fix this?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 03, 2022, 05:58 AM. Reason: misspellings
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Tried to increase image size / visability for people who are not logged in - without success…
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 03, 2022, 06:08 AM.

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

After today's update from the Kubuntu Backports PPA to KDE Plasma version 5.24.6 the issue is gone - the text in the Global Menu is readable again (white text on dark background).
      Thank you very much! :-)))

Comment

Working...
      X