This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Google Web Designer Opens to a Blank White Screen

Dear all, so far Kubuntu Jammy has been serving me great except one show-stopping problem: Google Web Designer (GWD) doesn't work. It opens to a blank white screen. The GWD log in "/home/<user>/.local/share/google-web-designer/logs/browser.log" shows:

F0508 09:55:27 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 09:55:28 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 10:03:23 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 10:03:23 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 10:07:11 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 10:07:12 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 10:08:58 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
    F0508 10:08:59 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2

If I run GWD from terminal it shows:

[0509/145858.487980:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private. cc(407)] GPU process isn't usable. Goodbye.
    Trace/breakpoint trap

Mine is not some esoteric or shine new GPU, it's IHD Graphics 2500 (Ivy Bridge i5 3330 Proc),

and here's how the GWD looks after launch till eternity:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220509_144840.png Views:	0 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	662822
    Last edited by manmath; May 09, 2022, 03:33 AM.

I have not used this program. It seems the error message is saying it can't access the GPU. There was an issue with this in the past in Ubunutu.
    Please see here:
    https://groups.google.com/g/gwdbeta/...m/RFl1FbFDDQAJ

I don't know if any of that is still relevant or will help, but the devs released an update and it apparently fixed the problem for some at that time. When looking at the web there have been many people over time who have had this problem with the white screen.

According to their help page, there is a way to disable the GPU rendering when launching GWD:
    https://support.google.com/webdesign.../3250382?hl=en

A black screen on launch may be caused by outdated video drivers. Try updating your video drivers. If that doesn't help, disable GPU rendering by quitting Google Web Designer and following the instructions for your operating system before relaunching:
    • Linux: Add a line to ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/preferences/settings.conf with the name disable-gpu-rendering and a value of true. (If the [Settings] section doesn't exist, you'll need to create it first.)
    I know that you are not having EXACTLY this issue, but since your message seems to be about accessing the GPU it might be worth a try. I don't even know if this file still exists in the current version. It would not hurt to try:

Also, you might find that file on your computer, . . .shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc, and see what it says on line 1806. The code around this line might be give you some indication of why it is programmed to echo that error to the terminal.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
    I would also consider reaching out to them at their support page to see if they can help you further:

https://support.google.com/webdesigner/community?hl=en

It may require a bug report for further inspection by the dev team.
    Good Luck!

Also, if you can post the code section around line 1806 in ninja_cef_client.cc, someone here may be able to help decipher what causes the program to spit out the error.
    Last edited by rab0171610; May 09, 2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Also, one of the things mentioned on that support page:
      White screen on launch if behind a web proxy. Please follow these instructions to change your proxy settings.
      Adjust proxy settings
      Google Web Designer uses the following proxy settings:
      no-proxy-server Boolean If true, Google Web Designer doesn't use a proxy. Overrides any other proxy settings provided.
      proxy-auto-detect Boolean If true, Google Web Designer tries to automatically detect your proxy configuration. Ignored if proxy-server is provided.
      proxy-server string The custom proxy configuration to use. Google Web Designer does not currently support any proxies that require authentication.
      proxy-bypass-list string A list of hosts for which to bypass any specified proxy.
      proxy-pac-url string The URL of the PAC (proxy auto-config) file to use.
      If you want Google Web Designer to try to automatically detect your proxy configuration, adjust the following setting according to your operation system:
      Linux:
      Add the following line in the Settings section:
      proxy-auto-detect=true
      I don't know what kind of internet connection you are using, so this may or may not apply to you but just it may be one reasons why some people may be getting a white screen.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did all that you suggested. The problem persists. There's one catch though: I installed GWD in Ubuntu and it worked as desired. Seems the issue is specific to Kubuntu or KDE Plasma, I might be wrong though. I'm used to Kubuntu/KDE and don't find myself at home with Ubuntu.

Comment

Well at least you can now eliminate those issues I guess.

You could consider purging the app in Kubuntu. And installing the deb version at the website:

https://webdesigner.withgoogle.com/

If that version also has issues, I would also pursue a line of inquiry with the developers at:

https://support.google.com/webdesigner/community?hl=en

On a side note, I find it odd they haven't released an update in 2 years.

Comment

Maybe see https://support.google.com/webdesign...ng-proxy?hl=en
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Did. It's all the same. It's GWD version 9.0.8.0-1, the latest one. Can someone suggest me where I can find an old version which might work.

Comment

Another thing to try is to turn on verbose logging in the app itself. There is supposed to be a radio setting in Preferences>Advanced that you can click to turn it on. Logs are stored in:

~/.local/share/google-web-designer/logs/

Comment

And try what Snowhog said, delete ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache and then start the application to see if that had any effect.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                    There is supposed to be a radio setting in Preferences>Advanced that you can click to turn it on. Logs are stored in:

~/.local/share/google-web-designer/logs/
                    Already shared the log file in my first post. And I can't see any radio setting as the application opens just to a blank white screen -- no buttons, nothing.

Comment

And try what Snowhog said, delete ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache and then start the application to see if that had any effect.
                      Did this countless times. Nothing to my avail.

Comment

Well I am out of ideas. You could try adding the line
                        verbose-logging=true
                        in the file
                        .local/share/google-web-designer/preferences/settings.conf
                        under the [settings] heading.
                        It should be enabled by default but just in case it is not put that in and see if that produces anything additional in the logs directory. But, I believe it is already enabled.

Comment

Well I am out of ideas. You could try adding the line
                          verbose-logging=true
                          After that the log file actually produced less output, now it's just:

F0509 17:49:09 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2
                          F0509 17:49:10 ../../shell/cef_objects/ninja_cef_client.cc:1806] Render process terminated. status=2

Comment

Well take it out then. Good Luck!

Comment

Well take it out then. Good Luck!
                              OK.
                              Surprising, as I mentioned earlier, GWD works well on Ubuntu 22.04, but not on Kubuntu. It's puzzling.

Comment

Working...
                              X