This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notecase Pro

I have just done a fresh install on my dual boot with the upgraded version of kubuntu.

When I try to run Notecase I get this error:

notecase: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Will I have to wait until there is a new version of Notecase for this to work.

When I did an upgrade of 20.04 to 22.04 it works ok. It is just with a complete fresh install it does not.

regards

Mark Spruce
    Falkland Islands

libssl 1.1 is what is in 21.10, via the package libssl1.1
    22.04 has libssl 3. There is no 1.1 version available there. The two don't conflict with each other, or rather they shouldn't, which explains why you have the 1.1 version in your upgrade.

The version of Notecase, assuming I am looking at the correct software, explicitly needs the 1.1 version, until they make a package for 22.04. You might ask them when they plan to add one, or have a workaround.

I am not sure of creaking a symlink from the existing libssl.so.3 named libssl.so.1.1 will work.
    Downloading and manually installing Impish's libssl1.1 package, and any related dependencies is another option that *probably* will work

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.3 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1
    This will create the link. If the program still doesn't work, you can delete the link:
    sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1

I am going to guess that there is a good chance that more than just libssl may be too new in Jammy for your deb file.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      libssl 1.1 is what is in 21.10, via the package libssl1.1
      22.04 has libssl 3. There is no 1.1 version available there. The two don't conflict with each other, or rather they shouldn't, which explains why you have the 1.1 version in your upgrade.

The version of Notecase, assuming I am looking at the correct software, explicitly needs the 1.1 version, until they make a package for 22.04. You might ask them when they plan to add one, or have a workaround.

I am not sure of creaking a symlink from the existing libssl.so.3 named libssl.so.1.1 will work.
      Downloading and manually installing Impish's libssl1.1 package, and any related dependencies is another option that *probably* will work

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.3 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1
      This will create the link. If the program still doesn't work, you can delete the link:
      sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1

I am going to guess that there is a good chance that more than just libssl may be too new in Jammy for your deb file.
      Thank you so much for that. I did expect it would be that i would have to wait for an update from Notecase. I will give your suggestion a ago. I did message the developer of Notecase too.

Comment

If the link doesn't work you can find the deb package online from a previous version and install it in Jammy. I have had to do this with some libraries for old applications, namely libgtksourceview, in order to get them to build from source. I also had to do it in reverse to get a newer mainline kernel installed I needed libbssl 3. Just be aware of dependencies that may also have to be downloaded. Since the packages are slotted they should not affect other newer versions of same library already installed. It will also tell you on the Ubuntu package search page what the dependencies are. When you try to install one, it will require the other dependencies. Once you have all the required debs in a folder by themselves, browse to the folder in dolphin file manager, hit f4 to get the terminal to open and type:
        sudo dpkg -i *.deb
        If you are missing any dependencies it will let you know. Any version of libssl 1.x will work. All will install the
        libssl.so.1.1 file.
        So try to look for the last version of libbsl1.x where x is the highest version number released.
        If you are having any issues you will need to issue apt with the fix broken to repair the incomplete installs.

Good Luck!

Comment

Ok what I did check on my 20.04 install where it all works.

I saw what was install for LIBSSL1.1 (you will see in my screen shot)

Oh here 22.04.

I type in libssl (nothing shows up.

Is there a link somewhere I could download libssl1.1
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?s...ywords=libssl1
            This is showing Impish's listing, which may be safer, but seeing as Focal's is working, that one is probably OK as well.

Use packages.ubuntu.com for any other packages that may be missing -- you will get errors using sudo dpkg -i package.deb if it needs something,
            If it does, we can look and see if it is safe to do the same procedure. I don't think that there will be any, as it appears to be only two main dependencies, and the requirements haven't changed enough from 20.04 to 22.04 to be an issue.
            Last edited by claydoh; May 07, 2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I wonder why Libssl1 was not included in the installation right from the start I wonder if this has happened for other people with the package not being there ?

Comment

Originally posted by Black.Widow View Post
                I wonder why Libssl1 was not included in the installation right from the start
                Because libssl3 replaces 1.1. When you application's developer/packager creates a Jammy package, it will then depend on this, instead of the older one, and there will be no issues.

I wonder if this has happened for other people with the package not being there ?
                Sure, it does, but not overly common. It only happens when trying to install something built for a previous distro release on a newer one. So basically situations like yours, where an application developer has not caught up to a current distro release. This is a prime use case for smaller, independent projects and third party applications to use Flatpaks, etc.

Comment

Libbssl is in a strange state right now. A lot of software was written to require libssl1. Libssl3 is the latest version. Jammy jumped to 3 and got it working. A lot of distros are still using version 1. A month ago, I personally didn't know of any distro using Libssl3 by default except Ubuntu. The others are still considering it unstable. If you try to compile, a lot of software sources would still require libbssl1 to be present. I am surprised that Ubuntu didn't keep both versions until later releases. It happens with a lot of libraries over time. Sometimes I get around it by installing .deb files from previous version of Ubuntu, but have even had to rely on rpm's from other distros to find certain libraries that are not really that old. I don't see a problem moving to newer versions, but don't understand why there is not a transition period where older libraries are still available for some years while they newer ones are being phased in, as long as they do not conflict with one another.
                  Just an example, arch linux repos currently have openssl version 1.1.1.o. While gentoo stable uses dev-libs/openssl 1,1,1 and 1.0.2 in stable, while 1.1.1.o, 3.0.2, and 3.0.3 are masked and considered testing/unstable. Yet ubuntu has somehow manage to get all the way to 3 and have all dependencies in order, leaving 1 in the dust. Fedora 36 and 37 have both used version 3 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

because libssl3 replaces 1.1. When you application's developer/packager creates a jammy package, it will then depend on this, instead of the older one, and there will be no issues.

Sure, it does, but not overly common. It only happens when trying to install something built for a previous distro release on a newer one. So basically situations like yours, where an application developer has not caught up to a current distro release. This is a prime use case for smaller, independent projects and third party applications to use flatpaks, etc.
                    thank you so much

i love it here such helpful people

have a good week

Comment

Working...
                    X