This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Kubuntu 22.04 support Xorg?

I know that KDE and Ubuntu have been pushing for Waland but apparently it doesn't work with Nvida cards which I have. I have both an Intel I5 and a Nvida GTX760 and I use the proprietary Nvida drivers for Steam games I'm hoping that I'll be able to upgrade to a new desktop latter this year with an AMD GPU.
    But I guess my question is does Kubuntu 22.04 work with Nvida cards using the proprietary drivers?

Yes. The Nvidia drivers are working and in the repositories. Wayland also has issues for people that do not have Nvidia cards. Xorg is still an option. You do not have to install Wayland Plasma session. Some Wayland KDE support packages will be installed however but they will not be used. Despite what the fanatics are saying, Wayland doesn't look any different than X11, it is supposed to provide the same functionality. It also is too early to be calling it a drop in replacement for X. It still needs an X11 shim for many apps that still do not support Wayland. I have no doubts, if past history is to be taken into consideration, that Kubuntu will push it off on people and drop support for X11 way before it is completely ready and working for everyone. Much like they did with KDE3 and pushing everyone to use KDE Plasma 4 while it was still broken and in its development stages. But we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
      Yes. The Nvidia drivers are working and in the repositories. Wayland also has issues for people that do not have Nvidia cards. Xorg is still an option. You do not have to install Wayland Plasma session. Some Wayland KDE support packages will be installed however but they will not be used. Despite what the fanatics are saying, Wayland doesn't look any different than X11, it is supposed to provide the same functionality. It also is too early to be calling it a drop in replacement for X. It still needs an X11 shim for many apps that still do not support Wayland. I have no doubts, if past history is to be taken into consideration, that Kubuntu will push it off on people and drop support for X11 way before it is completely ready and working for everyone. Much like they did with KDE3 and pushing everyone to use KDE Plasma 4 while it was still broken and in its development stages. But we shall see.
      So Kubuntu 22.04 might ditch X11 or are talking about Kubuntu 24.04?

Comment

No I mean future versions. But we will see. Nothing suprises me.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
          So Kubuntu 22.04 might ditch X11...
          I hope not. Wayland is broken/crippled by design and won't ever do some things that X11 does. Those design choices have to be worked around by the compositor and maybe other DE components, and I imagine it's hard work. It seems to me that it might be a good fit for Gnome, which wants to control what you do and how you do it, but not for KDE which wants to give control to the user.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
            So Kubuntu 22.04 might ditch X11 or are talking about Kubuntu 24.04?
            X11 is not going anywhere for a while, still.
            It won't be until at least 2023 before KDE think that they can recommend Wayland as a primary choice for distros to use. Even if anyone does use it by default, X11 will still be around as an option

Wayland is easy and safe enough to test out, with only selecting the desired session at login, if plasma-wayland-session is installed. If it acts funky, just log off, and back in using an xorg session .
            nvidia cards do work in Wayland, but how well iirc will depend on using the latest driver. Gnome have been using it as the default for a good bit now, and people do seem to use their Nvidia cards with it (Gnome users also outnumber Plasma users by a very large margin) It seems to have improved immensely in the past half year, even the past couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
              Much like they did with KDE3 and pushing everyone to use KDE Plasma 4 while it was still broken and in its development stages
              Lol, I was there for that. Not quite how it went at all.

In any case, that was a completely different dev team and council than the comparatively minimal dev team that exists today. They aren't going to make such a move until it is the norm.

Comment

Working...
              X