This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox problem

After upgrade to 22.04 I lost my firefox profile. How to restore it?

To get it to use your preferred or previous profile:
    Profiles are stored in ~/.mozilla/firefox/ in the users home directory. They are directories with names such as: et9bnznt.default-release. If you are not sure which default-release directory is your preferred profile, have a look inside the folders for clues. Look to see if you can find references to your bookmarks and add-ons,etc. Most empty or unused profile directories with not have these items. Compare the different default-release folders to identify your preferred profile.

In ~/.mozilla/firefox/ there are also files called installs.ini and profiles.ini. First, backup both .ini files before editing. If you open the ~/.mozilla/firefox/installs.ini file with a text editor, you will see something like this:

[6AFDA46A1A8AD99]
    Default=6j2yxnl4.default-release
    Locked=1

You can see that the current installation of Firefox that I have, referenced above as 6AFDA46A1A8AD99 is defaulting to profile 6j2yxnl4.default-release. That is the name of a profile folder in the same directory but it is not the one I want to use (et9bnznt.default-release).

If you open the ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini file with a text editor, you will see something like this:

[Profile1]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=6j2yxnl4.default
    Default=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default-release
    IsRelative=1
    Path=6j2yxnl4.default-release

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1
    Version=2

[Install6AFDA46A1A8AD99]
    Default=6j2yxnl4.default-release
    Locked=1

Note that there may be more that one install referenced here. In this instance, the strings 6j2yxnl4.default and 6j2yxnl4.default-release need to be changed to tell Firefox to open my preferred profile, et9bnznt.default-release. I will change all references from 6j2yxnl4 to et9bnznt.
    It should now read:

[Profile1]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=et9bnznt.default
    Default=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default-release
    IsRelative=1
    Path=et9bnznt.default-release

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1
    Version=2

[Install6AFDA46A1A8AD99]
    Default=et9bnznt.default-release
    Locked=1

For conformity, but maybe not necessary, I changed the installs.ini file to also reference my profile:

[6AFDA46A1A8AD99]
    Default=et9bnznt.default-release
    Locked=1

Now when opening the new install of Firefox, all of my tabs, bookmarks, history, and add-ons are restored. Once it is opening the with the right profile, the unused default-release folders can be deleted from the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X