Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Encryption not supporting other releases or installing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encryption not supporting other releases or installing.

Hello,

I have been using encryption on drives for years, and each release of kubuntu seems to get worse and worse for support.

Ten years ago I was able to manually create up to 7 encrypted partitions during the install (on a whopping 1.5TB drive) and not a single problem - probably on 12.04.

Since 2016 or so, the kubuntu installer will crash when trying to create more than a single encrypted partition. To compensate, I would just use the whole disk encryption with lvm - and while not ideal, the price per TB has become affordable to not worry about it much.

As releases came and went, I would mount a new drive, install kubuntu with whole disk encryption, add the previous install drive as a second drive, click on the old drive partition in dolphin, which would then decrypt and mount it. This allowed me to copy the necessary files, etc.

In kubuntu 20.10 something stopped allowing that to work - and as a interim release, I figured there were potential snags, but no biggie. I was able to seamlessly mount and decrypt an 18.04 encrypted partition without too much trouble, but the 18.04 install could not mount the 20.10 partition. I figured the releases were too far apart for whatever encryption was set up (although in 18.04 I could mount all encrypted partitions made all the way back in 12.04)

I installed kubuntu 21.10 on my primary machine after 20.10 reached EOL, and found that I could mount the 20.10 partition in 21.10, but I couldn't mount the 21.10 encrypted partition in 20.10 - another snafu it seemed, and only a year apart.

Now in kubuntu 22.04, I can't go in either direction when trying to work with kubuntu 21.10 even. The 21.10 partition and the 22.04 partitions both give the same error when trying to mount and decrypt in dolphin from either direction.

------------------------
    An error occurred while accessing '3.6 TiB Encrypted Drive', the system responded: An unspecified error has occurred: No such interface “org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Filesystem” on object at path /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/dm_2d3
    ------------------------

I think encryption should be seamless in dolphin, and I don't understand the message, or how to fix it. I found an forum answer that seemed to get a drive mounted:

sudo bash
    vgdisplay
    vgrename <VG UUID> new_name
    modprobe dm-mod
    vgchange -ay
    lvscan
    mount /dev/new_name/root /mnt/data/

but when I did that on the new 22.04 install, it no longer booted to kubuntu with a gui - and barfed down to busybox, probably because of the volume group stuff done while in 21.10.

Why doesn't encryption work between releases anymore? What is that error? and why is it happening now? Encryption schemes should be fairly consistent, to me at least.

my guess is that it would have something to do with fstab and the UUID along with the mapping of encrypted volumes. But it worked seamlessly 2 years ago (for the most part).

Nobody wants to mess with volumes and mapping and all that nonsense to work with encrypted volumes - the distro should handle that with a single click. And the installer should allow manually creating as many encrypted volumes as the user wants, without crashing. I have gotten lubuntu to handle manually creating many volumes recently, but not kubuntu.

I haven't ever done any other steps than just click on the encrypted partitions in dolphin and then enter the passwords. I do not have the knowledge to do any more than that - and this new error (and the blowing away of my install) does confuse me.

Getting a one click encrypted partition mount back would be very nice, at a minimum, while getting an installer that can create manual encrypted partitions would be even better.

thanks

I spent a few hours trying to install ubuntu as well, setting 2 partitions to physical volumes for encryption.

The installer seemed to work - popping up a passphrase dialog immediately upon clicking 'physical volume for encryption' on the dropdown. Both partitions created the dialog as expected and seemed to be fine.

This leads me to think there is a bug in the kubuntu installer for the encryption passphrase popup dialog, and also seems to explain the reason for the installer crash when doing more than one encrypted partition. If the dialog popup is supposed to appear - but never does - then the installer cannot exit out of that partition, and adding a second encrypted partition would try to create a second instance of the passphrase dialog popup, and now with two dialogs trying to open at the same time and keep straight which partition is which, the installer just decides it is easier to crash than to keep going.

As for ubuntu 22.04, that was unsuccessful as well, because at the formatting and mounting the partitions, the installer could not mount the '/' directory, and then sat at the formatting of the next partition for 25 minutes before I killed everything and shut it down.

Comment

Working...
    X