Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5.27 on Kubuntu LTS

Look at what I spy on the kubuntu-backports-extra PPA:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231008_190353.png Views:	3 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	674300

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231008_190118.png Views:	0 Size:	233.7 KB ID:	674301

Now that 22.10 has reached EOL, 22.04 LTS no longer has an upgrade path until 24.04, so this sort of upgrade is now possible.
    As expected, they have added Plasma 5.27 (an LTS) to this special PPA.

I expect an announcement soon, since these were uploaded over the weekend.

Of course, those of you who add any old PPA without knowing what it provides may be surprised the next time you update, and Plasma is different all of a sudden.
    It has already happened on Reddit, because of course, it is Reddit .
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 08, 2023, 07:39 PM.

Whatever happened really messed me up here. Luckily knew how to get back something to get me back to Kubuntu. Whatever happened it installed Ubuntu Studios. It's still a mess here but I got KDE back. Should have paid more attention I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Look at what I spy on the kubuntu-backports-extra PPA:
      Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20231008_190353.png Views:	3 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	674300

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20231008_190118.png Views:	0 Size:	233.7 KB ID:	674301

Now that 22.10 has reached EOL, 22.04 LTS no longer has an upgrade path until 24.04, so this sort of upgrade is now possible.
      As expected, they have added Plasma 5.27 (an LTS) to this special PPA.

I expect an announcement soon, since these were uploaded over the weekend.

Of course, those of you who add any old PPA without knowing what it provides may be surprised the next time you update, and Plasma is different all of a sudden.
      It has already happened on Reddit, because of course, it is Reddit .
      Do you advise this PPA for 22.04 users?

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
        Do you advise this PPA for 22.04 users?
        I haven't used it yet, to see if there are any issues or anything, but I will assume that once it is formally announced, it will be safe to try.
        As to recommending it, that is mostly personal preference.
        Normally, on an LTS, I'd lean towards NOT recommending it, for those who value LTS attributes.
        However, in this case, 5.27 is now Plasma's official LTS release, so it makes sense to consider it.
        There are a fair number of changes between Plasma 5.24 and 5.27, so that should be be taken into account.
        Try a live USB of 23.04, or better - 23.10 beta to get an idea.

Comment

As claydoh already wrote: updates to KDE Plasma version 5.27.8 and KDE Frameworks version 5.104 are availabe for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS in the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA (in addition to those updates in the normal Kubuntu Backports PPA).

Thanks to the team once again!​

Apart from the general improvements in Plasma 5.27 I think this could be an important update for people who want to use Wayland with Kubuntu 22.04.

Link to the complete changelog for KDE Frameworks 5.104 :
          https://kde.org/announcements/frameworks/5/5.104.0/

Link to the changleog for KDE Plasma 5.27.8 :
          https://kde.org/announcements/change...5.27.7-5.27.8/

You can find the installation instructions on the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA website.
          After this any future updates that the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA provide for your Kubuntu version will be automatically installed when you update your system.

As always I strongly recommend that you have prepared some way to revert your system to a previous state if something goes wrong, e.g.:

One can install ppa-purge before and use it to get rid of the Kubuntu Backports' packages again.
          Or use a Timeshift system backup.
          Or use LVM/ext4 with snapshots or btrfs with snapshots as your file system.
          Or use a Clonezilla volume backup.
          Or …​​​​

You can also find an overview about the different versions of the KDE Plasma desktop environment and its components in Kubuntu here:
          Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings​​​​
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 10, 2023, 03:48 AM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

After getting everything back to normal, which I already had that backport see below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_20231010_0001.png
Views:	171
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	674318

Comment

Just enabled the backports and installed the update tonight. So far it has been great. 😀

Comment

Working...
              X