This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that bug me

I like 22.04, recently installed in my recently built desktop PC. But two things so far, one is more serious:

(1) K > Places > History or Frequently used

Problem for me: I can seldom find what I need to find there!
    It lists all kinds of stuff, but why not that important recently worked-on document that I need?!
    And deleting entries in those two places, AFAIK, must be done one by one. You can not highlight a bunch of the entries to delete all at once.

(2) Updates that require re-booting:

This is the 3rd time, the 3rd update, when I clicked the re-boot icon, where it re-booted OK but then couldn't connect to my DSL (through Ethernet cable).
    I'm not a network guy, for sure. I worry what to do to fix this if I needed to fix it.
    SO FAR ... I have been lucky-ducky:
    I have simply pulled the DSL Ethernet jack (the yellow cable) out of the router-modem, waited 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and my correct network settings/addresses were detected correctly and quickly.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

As for problem Prob 1 it must be a setting in K or Dolphin
    Click image for larger version  Name:	places_20230329_101650.png Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	669494
    which is probably set in the following location:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	places_20230329_101650.png Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	669496

As for problem 2 ...
    Rebooting is an option you can take immediately or waiting until you turn on your computer the next day. Sometimes I am in the middle of a Jupyter Notebook app and don't want to reboot until I reach a stopping point or finish it. Your system won't stop working if you don't reboot, BUT, considering how fast Kubuntu 22.04 boots (mine usually takes 10-15 seconds), rebooting isn't what it used to be 10 years ago when it took 2 or 3 minutes, or more.

An aside -- I used to think that a Zoom modem V.92 running at a blazing 56kbps was "lightening" fast, compared to the older 48Kb modems without compression. Now, I wonder why my 530mpbs optic takes so long to do some things. (Even though it hits 50+mbps DL speeds) LOL!

Attached Files
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 29, 2023, 09:43 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Problem 1:
      I missed the "Recent Files" Using that (by scrolling way down) would help. Recent Files can also be added to Favorites, too, I think.

But ... this raises a question: what good is the Places > Frequently used? I don't see how it is useful; in fact, I often can't find a recent "frequently used" file!

Thanks.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Problem 1:
        But ... this raises a question: what good is the Places > Frequently used? I don't see how it is useful; in fact, I often can't find a recent "frequently used" file!
        Strange.
        "Recently used" lists a large number of files I've accessed in chronological order.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          Problem 1:
          I missed the "Recent Files" Using that (by scrolling way down) would help. Recent Files can also be added to Favorites, too, I think.

Thanks.
          I have never used Frequently used, nor noticed it. Krunner is very reliable to locate frequently used files; combine it with a careful naming scheme and you are golden.

Comment

@GreyGeek: Yes, I agree. "Recently used" is very useful and complete. But the "Frequently used" is the one I am complaining about (K > Places > "Frequently used")

Comment

Problem 1: "Recent Documents" are in ~/.local/share/RecentDocuments. You can clear them out from there. There is also "recently used"; a category a bit broader than recent "documents". IIUC these come from data stored by kactivitymanagerd and stored in its SQLite database in ~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/database.

A file gets a .desktop reference in "Recent Documents" when you open the file through the "desktop environment". If you manage to create a file without interacting with the DE, it won't know about it. So, if I create or edit a file using the command line, it doesn't appear. In gvim if I work on a file with the ancient command :edit, it won't appear, but if I use the KDE file picker by running :browse edit, the file appears. For me now GTK apps like vim and firefox are interacting quite well with KDE, but to get that always, I have to have
              Code:
              export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
              in a script started through System settings->Startup and Shutdown->Autostart->Pre-startup scripts, specified with the full path. Defining the variable in the usual places like ~.profile or .bashrc doesn't work when apps are started through the DE, as KDE now doesn't run them in it's startup. If I unset that variable, I get the awful (IMO) Gnome file picker and "Recent Documents" is not updated, so perhaps, Qqmike, you are using a GTK app without GTK_USE_PORTAL set.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

jlittle is way over my head! (no surprise there!) But thanks for the input and the added insights. I always enjoy your quick "value-added tutorials."

Comment

Working...
                X