This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I find annoying

Although the transition from Bionic to Jammy was relatively smooth there are some things that just don't work the same.

I have always put my desktop icons on the right side, Jammy puts them on the left with every startup and they will jump to the right when I click anywhere on the screen.
    It doesn't matter how many times I size and position a program screen it will start dead center anytime I restart the program.
    Amarok doesn't work which leaves me to create my playlists again.
    The notification icon in the taskbar is redundant when I have an update icon right next to it, I have unchecked everything in the notifications preferences to no avail.

Things are not all bad as I have not seen the Nvidia boot freeze that occurred with Bionic on a monthly basis that required a reboot to get through.
    And I'm pretty sure that things seem to run a slight bit slower than Bionic.
    Rant over
    System:
    MSI X299 Tomahawk
    Intel i7-7800X 6 core
    Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB​

I am with you. I tried Neon the other day, and it has none of these stupid Kubuntu issues. Kubuntu (and Ubuntu) seem to think they know better than everyone else and mess with basic functionality that only ends up making things worse. The problems you are seeing do not have to be there... it appears they were introduced by the (K)ubuntu dev team as part of a unified design strategy. Gnome, in Ubuntu 22.10, has the same bull**** issues. It is not standard. It does not work in a multi-monitor arrangement; an arrangement that is entirely common today.

Anyway, Amarok is dead - I do not think its seen active development in quite some time. Try Audacious. Its fast and does a great job with playlists and media management.

Which apps are misbehaving in the tray? It might be specific to the app, and can be fixed with its own launcher. I am not seeing the same problem with the apps I use, but that means nothing. There are hidden configurations all over the place. It is often very convoluted.

I have been benchmarking Kubuntu for the past year, even using Steam and Proton to run things like 3DMark (works pretty good), a Windows based synthetic graphics benchmark. I can state with absolute certainty that 22.04 is faster than 21.10 on my rig. I have seen a 5 to 10% improvement in things like 3D animation rendering, and a 5% improvement with NVHEC. YMMV of course. Overall desktop efficiency is also improved with lower memory use on startup. Again, this is on my rig.

Honestly, if it were not for some silly design decisions, Kubuntu is the best OS I have used in over 30 years of computing. It is gorgeous, fast, stable, and flexible. I have to remind myself when I start ranting that I am ranting about some very high-level things... for example, I was frustrated setting up a 4 monitor display system with a mix of formats, sizes, resolution, and rotation. The fact that it can do it at all is frankly amazing.

It may piss me off at times, but I absolutely love Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
      Anyway, Amarok is dead - I do not think its seen active development in quite some time. Try Audacious. Its fast and does a great job with playlists and media management.
      I am using Audacious, just needed to vent about all the playlists I have to rebuild.

Which apps are misbehaving in the tray? It might be specific to the app, and can be fixed with its own launcher. I am not seeing the same problem with the apps I use, but that means nothing. There are hidden configurations all over the place. It is often very convoluted.
      Not certain what you're getting at here with tray. As far as apps go I would resize an app and position it so that I can work off to the side with another app. With Bionic the resized/positioned app would retain the memory of where I put it and what size I set it at, not so with Jammy.

It may piss me off at times, but I absolutely love Kubuntu.
      I fully agree, Kubuntu all the way. I started out with a Tandy 64 colour computer (dating myself here), things have certainly changed drastically.
      Last edited by Scorpa54; Oct 30, 2022, 11:20 AM.
      System:
      MSI X299 Tomahawk
      Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpa54 View Post
        Amarok doesn't work which leaves me to create my playlists again.
        Unfortunately Amarok is basically dead (well before 2018, really), it's porting from the old KDE 4 has been happening at a glacial pace, at best. I am surprised it even runs on your system.
        Strawberry and maybe clementine are forks of the much-loved KDE 3 version that are still around and do work quite well. Clementine do release debs regularly on their github, but have not had a formal official release in some years.
        Strawberry is usually my choice as it has the feature set that your Amarok is based off of

it appears they were introduced by the (K)ubuntu dev team as part of a unified design strategy
        As I have mentioned elsewhere, Kubuntu essentially packages the code so it installs and functions on an Ubuntu ecosystem, they don't develop or create the actual software or systems themselves.

The notification icon in the taskbar is redundant when I have an update icon right next to it, I have unchecked everything in the notifications preferences to no avail.
        That is not normal. I suspect it may be a leftover from the ancient 18.04 setup where iirc the update notification was a separate application, or the Gnome one got installed at some point. I will see if I can find out if there is a specific application from 18.04 that can be uninstalled

I also suspect possibly that icon issues may stem from 'stale' Plasma configs (aka bugs that no one has any good way of testing until someone with 4 year old configs jumps 4 years into the future ) I have only gone a little over two years on the same desktop config, on the PC I sold over the summer.
        I have done 4 years of distro upgrades once, but I did nuked my configs at least once there.

I imagine a fresh user account for testing might not have this issue. Annoying to be sure, and difficult to track the specific culprit.
        Last edited by claydoh; Oct 31, 2022, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Edit: did forget to mention that when un-pausing a video the audio cuts out a few times before tracking properly. Something else that never happened with Bionic.
          System:
          MSI X299 Tomahawk
          Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            That is not normal. I suspect it may be a leftover from the ancient 18.04 setup where iirc the update notification was a separate application, or the Gnome one got installed at some point. I will see if I can find out if there is a specific application from 18.04 that can be uninstalled

I also suspect possibly that icon issues may stem from 'stale' Plasma configs (aka bugs that no one has any good way of testing until someone with 4 year old configs jumps 4 years into the future ) I have only gone a little over two years on the same desktop config, on the PC I sold over the summer.
            I have done 4 years of distro upgrades once, but I did nuked my configs at least once there
            As far as I know there shouldn't be any 18.04 residue as I finally had to go with the fresh install route.
            System:
            MSI X299 Tomahawk
            Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of this extra icon, and maybe right-click on it to show more info about it? it may be a small one, but it seems like a quick easy fix. Kubuntu, or KDE for that matter, only has the tray icon for update notifications. There is nothing I can think of that would add a task manager entry or icon, or even a panel widget. I suspect the Gnome gnomes are trying to take over......

Comment

As to icons moving on the desktop, I am not sure if this is relevant to files, or just widgets, but :
                https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=413645 (among others)
                Fixed in 5.24.7, which soon will make it to 22.04 ( it is in --proposed, so it will be in the normal repos pretty soon)
                Users who want it now can get it from the Kubuntu-updates PPA (or via the kubuntu-backports PPA for that, plus Frameworks and other upgrades that normally you don't get in a regular LTS track and may not want)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  You like blaming Kubuntu for these sort of KDE Plasma bugs that they have not been able to squash everywhere. Understandable, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, Kubuntu essentially packages the code so it installs and functions on an Ubuntu ecosystem, they don't develop or create the actual software or systems themselves.
                  The bug is not plasma. It is specific to (K)Ubuntu. Both panels (Gnome/KDE) behave the same, and they behave the same in 22.04 and 22.10. The do not behave this way in other KDE distros.
                  Last edited by ShadYoung; Oct 31, 2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X