Oh Snap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Snap!

Tried 22.04 LTS and had the normal issues most have with Snap. I figure Ubuntu is only going to expand upon Snap so I decided to move on. I've chosen XaOS It was a good run of 2 years.

If you've found this forum a good one, please consider staying. We've had many regular posters that have "moved on" over the years, often to KDE Neon, or Arch derivatives with KDE.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I haven't moved on yet. Using Ubuntu since conception. So far I found ways to circumvent using Snap. As jlittle says, no need to leave because you are using another distro.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

As long as the next release of KDE Neon is de-snapped, I doubt I'll be switching to anything else.
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
          ... I've chosen XaOS ...
          Assuming you mean KaOS, why did you choose it over Arch?

Some thoughts by the KaOS team on the "Arch-based" issue: https://kaosx.us/about/based/
          Last edited by chimak111; May 02, 2022, 08:41 AM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I'm one of those weirdos that literally couldn't care less about Snaps. The only thing I notice is that I can't get the Global Menu widget to work with any Snaps or Flatpaks, and I don't like jumping through sandboxing hoops to get apps like Steam to be able to see other internal drives.

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
            I figure Ubuntu is only going to expand upon Snap so I decided to move on.
            If your prediction that Snaps will only get expanded upon is correct, another just-as-rational conclusion is that Snaps will only get better.
            I upgraded to 22.04 over the weekend, and other than deciding to download the DEB files for Chrome and Steam, I just installed whatever app was available in Discover, regardless of it being a Snap or not.
            Ironically, the only problem with any app I have is GIMP, which is a Flatpak.
            Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
            Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post

Assuming you mean KaOS, why did you choose it over Arch?

Some thoughts by the KaOS team on the "Arch-based" issue: https://kaosx.us/about/based/
              Arch takes too much work for me to install and maintain, I'm kind of lazy that way. There are several derivatives that make it easier, KaOS is one of them. I'm not too concerned about the repositories as long as I can find the software I can use.

I'll check back now and then just to see how things are going and if Snap improves who knows.

Comment

I personally found EndeavourOS to be the easiest way to install Arch. You can uninstall the EndeavourOS apps, repository entry, and keyring if you wanted to but they are actually quite nice. I moved on to Gentoo again, but still keep a Kubuntu install around just to see what's what from time to time. Also MXLinux is nice with KDE if you don't mind that it is based on Debian stable. A little outdated for my tastes. But to each his own. If you wanted to go for something quite different package management wise you could try OpenSuse Tumbleweed which is very up to date on most packages. It has that arch linux dual package system (repos/community). The community apps can be installed directly by clicking a button the a web page. Very easy. Yast control center is very interesting. It is a one stop shop for all administrative tasks, updates, and software. Personally, I do not get along with Fedora and their slow package mgmt and different way of putting things in non-standard directories and config files. The package manager is the slowest of any distro I have every tried (yes, I am talking about you DNF!)

Comment

I just came across this:

A tutorial on how to remove Snap from Ubuntu Linux and getting a snap-free system.

https://www.debugpoint.com/2022/04/remove-snap-ubuntu/
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                    I just came across this:

A tutorial on how to remove Snap from Ubuntu Linux and getting a snap-free system.

Thanks for the link appreciate it.
                    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

The only problem I have with Snap is that Firefox is slow to start the first time after boot. But its not a big problem for me, I am using it. Other than that I have installed Inkscape as Snap, and Krita as Flatpak. I could also have used AppImage instead, when it's an alternative. For all the other apps I did install I used DEB-packages.
                      The other web-browsers I am used to from Windows like Chrome, MS Edge and Vivaldi are available as DEB-packages.
                      Last edited by Svein M; Jun 15, 2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I, too, decided that I didn't want snap on my Kubuntu so I removed it, which was an easy thing to do. I also decided that I wanted the latest & greatest plasma has to offer so I moved to KDE Neon User Edition, snap free, of course. Basically, any distro which gives me the latest KDE and BTRFS on a deb package manager is a distro I can use.

I'm already on the BEST Linux forum in the world, so why move?

PS: After a failure of neon to include wine32 capability, which I need for my wife's EKG application, I moved back to Kubuntu on 3/11/23
                        For the record my Kubuntu installation is snap free with perf protection, wine32 installed easily, my Steam apps work well. All is well in the garden.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 17, 2023, 08:28 AM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                          I just came across this:

I'm wondering about point #3:
                          That’s not all. Even if you removed the snaps using the above command, the sudo apt update command again brings back the snap if you don’t stop the apt trigger.
                          The article then suggests creating a file in /etc/apt/preferences.d/
                          Code:
                          Package: snapd
                          Pin: release a=*
                          Pin-Priority: -10
                          to ensure that snapd isn't reinstalled.

I have an install of Ubuntu 22.04 on another machine. I've remove all snaps & snapd. I'm curious to see whether snapd will be reinstalled as the article suggests and so haven't created the pin file.
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Debian with KDE has replaced Kubuntu for me as a "daily driver" on my main machine since spring last year, Kubuntu 22.04 and 20.04 (and openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE) staying as beloved secondary and fallback systems.
                            All Kubuntus "de-snapped", of course. I even put the associated .pref file in Debian's /etc/apt/preferences.d - just to be sure. :-)

This forum is still one of the best for me, though - if not THE best for KDE-related stuff. Very friendly, helpful and competent people: Thank you all, folks!
                            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post

If your prediction that Snaps will only get expanded upon is correct, another just-as-rational conclusion is that Snaps will only get better.
                              It would be rational but this is canonical. It's more rational that (like most their bright ideas) it will stay half assed, get on people's nerves for a few years and then get pulled.

Comment

Working...
                              X