This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing to another distro

The problem with the rtl8821ce driver, which failed when the kernel upgraded from -1031-oem to -1032-oem failed, was that it resulted in a compile error which was compounded by a grub_pc error, leading to a reboot failure, which put me into "grub>" (not grub-rescue) instead of my login screen. It was an easy repair, allowing me to avoid booting a LiveUSB and switching to a backup snapshot.

That problem also got me to thinking about my reason for switching to Neon. Having a "leading edge" (not bleeding edge) Plasma desktop. Kernel failures can occur on an LTS, but since the LTS is not updated that often, except for security upgrades, there is a longer period of no updates that could spill the apple cart. I also got to thinking more about the inflation problem and the pending food and fuel shortages problem, all based on the same obvious reason. If a SHTF scenario actually occurs I don't want to be updating two or three times a week on a tethered phone. (If I have no Internet connection sometime in the future I won't have to worry about updates, anyway). I just want my OS to work. Period.

Because of that I am switching back to the Kubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I know, I know. IF things get really tough there is no guarantee that either Neon or the Kubuntu dev teams will still be operating, or even the Ubuntu dev team. Many web sites will disappear, including bank and financial websites. I've been retired since 2008 and about the only things I use my laptop for is paying bills electronically, email, and communicating with our doctors and hospital, visiting KubuntuForums.net, and surfing the web for fun, amusement and educational articles and videos.
    Oh, and playing some games as well.

To top it all off, about three years ago I installed Kubuntu 18.04 on my neighbor's HP laptop to eliminate the constant problems he was experiencing with Win10. I set it to do automatic updates. A couple weeks ago, during a warm spell, we were standing out in his driveway chatting about various things and I asked him how his laptop was running. He said it was running perfectly and that the updates are automatic. He's had to do nothing except turn it on, use it, and turn it off. Over the last three years I've had to help him three times, none of which were problems with Kubuntu. They were all "how do I do this" problems with Chromium, his printer, and I've forgotten the reason for the 3rd visit. On March 27th, red and blue flashing lights outside our bedroom window awakened me at 5AM. Outside, parked on the street, was an ambulance, a fire truck (in Lincoln it's part of the contract that a fire truck always accompanies an emergency call) and five police cars, including the tactical commander's police car. I didn't hear any gun shots so I thought it was a domestic disturbance call. Eventually, the vehicles all left, without taking anyone with them. I text messaged my neighbor, "You Ok?", but got no response, so I figured he was sleeping and that it was related to one of the other apartments nearby. There are five in our cluster. Tuesday, my wife saw a stranger parked in the his driveway and he turned out to be our neighbor's brother, who told us he had passed away that afternoon of a heart attack at the hospital, where he had been since March 27th. He was in his early or mid 70's and was a heavy chain smoker.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

So you want to change the whole OS - well, to actually the same OS, but with different update schemes - because of update frequency?
    I don't have automatic updates. Just because an update is available, it doesn't mean I install it. I do that once a week or so.
    And my only internet connection is 4G - which means that a big update takes quite a long time. So what?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      So you want to change the whole OS - well, to actually the same OS, but with different update schemes - because of update frequency?
      I don't have automatic updates. Just because an update is available, it doesn't mean I install it. I do that once a week or so.
      And my only internet connection is 4G - which means that a big update takes quite a long time. So what?
      Obviously I don't "have" to install updates either, but as long as I have an Internet connection and use it, any security holes discovered in any of the packages I have installed needs to be patched if I want to continue to use the web safely. It is also obvious that if my Internet connection goes down, for what ever reason, I don't need to worry about security.

My Android phone tether gives me around 70 Mbps bandwidth, which is tolerable for installing updates. My phone contract is for "unlimited" data, but history has shown that a phone carrier's definition of "unlimited" is very flexible, and one may be subject to throttling at any time without advanced notice. My passed activity has involved up to 30Gb/day. I don't know of any phone company that would allow that much data use per day. My carrier, T-Mobil, allows only 50Gb/month, then you are throttled to only another 3Gb for the remainder of the month. Then you are out of text or data and can only phone. So, using a phone tether is, for me, restricted only to an emergency basis. I can see T-Mobil cutting back their data cap from 50Gb/month to, say, 5Gb/month if a SHTF scenario arrives, or blocking tethering altogether, So, I won't count on a phone to do any serious web surfing.

Ergo, I am switching back to an LTS release because there will be less updating, and after three years no updates.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I came to Kubuntu about a year ago from Chakra which was a semi-rolling update. About once a month a new Plasma/Frameworks along with with updates to all my apps. About 400 MB which isn't a big deal on cable or I could use internet at work (wget is a god send for downloading remotely) I thought I would miss having the latest, but it didn't take me long to ignore the latest news and not worry about what I may be missing. Truth be told I rarely took advantage of new features anyway. So I'm looking forward to the next LTS but in the mean time I'm okay with 20.04

Comment

I've been running 22.04 LTS early release for several months. No problems on my system. Looking forward to the full release next month.
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
            I've been running 22.04 LTS early release for several months. No problems on my system. Looking forward to the full release next month.
            I ran it as a LiveUSB on my laptop last night for several hours. It recognized my troublesome rtl8821ce wifi chip without a problem, using the rtl_8821ce driver, but that driver is limited to 72Mbps. It was easy to remove that driver and replace it with the rtw88_8821ce driver, which gives me a 200 Mbps connection without dkms. Everything else looks like my current Neon fully updated installation so it's won't be like I'm down-grading to move to 22.04.

My first foray into Kubuntu was in Feb of 2009, with the 9.04 Alpha. It was stable and solid. For all the other releases through 18.04 I loaded the Beta. All of them were solid and stable, so it was no surprise to me to see that the 22.04 Beta is also stable and solid. In Sept of 2021 I switched to Neon. It, too, is solid and stable. I do a lot of experimenting and for the most part any problems I have are of my own making. As I stated in another post, my now deceased neighbor ran Kubuntu 18.04 on his then new HP laptop from the summer of 2018 until he died a few days ago. In those three and a half years he had only 3 problems, one trying to print from the Chromium browser, another how to add jpg files to a LO document, and I forget what the 3rd one was. Through all that time automatic background updates were enabled.

I've experimented with several other distros using their KDE version and noticed that all of them were equally stable. The most recent is mxLinux KDE, a very impressive version, even more polished that Kubuntu or Neon and based directly off of Debian, something I wished that Kubuntu would do as well. One thing I like about mxLinux KDE is that it allows me to install just the @ subvolume during the install procedure. Since I merge @home into @ that ability would save me a step.

Comment

I gave up on wifi adapters and bought one of these so I don't have to care about wifi drivers and can use the ethernet plug into it. It also helps receptions for devices that do have alright wifi, by creating extra access points. You can turn off that functionality though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                I gave up on wifi adapters and bought one of these so I don't have to care about wifi drivers and can use the ethernet plug into it. It also helps receptions for devices that do have alright wifi, by creating extra access points. You can turn off that functionality though.
                That is a great idea!
                Now I am going to look for a range extender/gigaport that is compatible with my fiber optic cable modem built in Wi-Fi.

Comment

Glad to have you back, so to speak.
                  I switched to Maui Linux (anybody remember that distro?) back in 2016 I think. When they stopped development, I switched to Kubuntu, simply because I never wanted to go through being stuck on an abandoned distro ever again, being forced to reinstall. Kubuntu seems like it's around for the long haul.

Other than a couple dabbles in Ubuntu proper for no more than a week at a time, I have run Kubuntu LTS on both my laptop and my gaming/HTPC ever since. I upgraded to 22.04 within the last week. Seems absolutely rock solid.

Because KDE directly produces Neon, I've been tempted to switch, but as someone who mostly desires the stability of an LTS, despite the fact that Neon is based on an LTS, the mere fact that they're trying to push out updates faster makes me nervous.
                  When I get home from a long day at work, I just want to play games, watch movies, and/or browse the web. The last thing I want to do is convince my computer to do what I'm asking.
                  As much as Linux itself used to be a hobby for me (Linux all the things!!! Try all the distros!!!!), I'm more of a happily-ever-after Linux user now.

Going on somewhere between 4-6 years now, Kubuntu just feels like home. I just donated another $45 today.
                  Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
                  Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Actually, I didn't "come back", so to speak...
                    Even though I used Kubuntu from 9.04 Alpha to October of last year, when I switched to KDE Neon to have a more recent Plasma desktop, I decided to stay with Neon. Getting too old and lazy to switch back, I guess.

I tried a couple of alternative wifi chips as mentioned in my HP-17cn1035bu service manual but on trying to install the second one the antenna female plug crumpled trying to plug it onto the male socket. To replace the antenna & wire was $40, plus tearing this laptop totally apart. My hands shake too much to do that. I decided to switch to an Eth0 cable but then I noticed that this laptop does not have a socket for Eth0. First one I've owned that didn't have an ethernet socket.

So, a wifi dongle was the next step, and I bought this from Amazon:
                    Cudy AC1300 WiFi USB 3.0 Adapter for PC, USB WiFi Dongle, 5Ghz /2.4Ghz, WiFi USB 3.0, Wireless Adapter for Desktop/Laptop, Compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1/10/11, mac OS, Linux, WU1300S

and used the driver from here: https://github.com/morrownr/88x2bu-20210702
                    It gives me a sold, stable 400Kbps connection without using dkms, which I may try later. My fiber optic service is 500Kbps, so fast that other factors affect speed more, so I may just stay at 400.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 02, 2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X