Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still possible to do UEFI install ?

Hi,

I am thinking of installing Kubuntu 22.04.3 LTS on a laptop where the InsydeH20 Setup Utility is set to use the machine's UEFI in its CSM/legacy BIOS mode. Currently I cannot make changes to the Setup Utility as the last time I was in there I made the mistake of disabling USB legacy emulation. This means that neither the laptop keyboard nor a USB external keyboard are recognised during Setup Utility and Grub boot up. However, the USB external keyboard is recognised and works once Linux reaches the login screen and the desktop.

I set things up this way as I am more familiar with setting up an hdd to use msdos partitions. I am now thinking of doing an install of Kubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but this time using UEFI. Given that the Setup Utility is(!) set to CSM/legacy BIOS mode and cannot at the moment be changed for the reason given above, would it be possible to do a UEFI-based install ? Would doing so once again give access to the Setup Utility enabling changes to be made to the settings therein ? In other words, would doing a UEFI-based install cause the laptop keyboard to once again be recognised during Setup Utility and Grub boot up ?

Stuart​

If I read this right, to install Kubuntu in UEFI mode, you must FIRST set your "BIOS " settings to UEFI mode for booting.
    IOW, if your "BIOS" is set to boot in CSM mode, you can't boot and install Kubuntu in UEFI mode.
    You can't fool your BIOS!

(How old/new is the laptop, btw?)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi,

@Qqmike​: Thanks for your reply. The laptop uses an i3-3120M CPU, if that's any guide. Its specs can be found at Specs Toshiba Satellite L870-18V Laptops (PSKFLE-04N008EN) (icecat.biz)​. If only it were(!) possible to fool the BIOS. Ho hum. Cheers, anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X