Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System installer erroneously shows continue button after OEM install. Causes a crash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System installer erroneously shows continue button after OEM install. Causes a crash.

I've been trying to practice an OEM install in a virtual machine to use it to revive an old laptop that I intend to give to someone else.

The installer works fine when I use it to create the OEM account, but malfunctions when installing as end user. I have tried running sudo apt update;sudo apt upgrade and sudo snap refresh before doing user install, but the issue persists. I am using kubuntu-22.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

I took some screenshots to show the issue.

The installer when first started. It has linked text saying "You may wish to update this installer.".

When the installer is started, it gave me a link to update the installer despite the system update earlier. The link didn't seem to do anything.

The final step having a continue button that shouldn't be there.

After going through the installer, it still shows a continue button despite being at the end of the install process.

An error message saying the installer crashed.

Clicking continue shows this error.

Just the background.

Clicking close closes the whole installer; leaving me with a blank screen other than the background.

I can't give Kubuntu to someone while the OEM's like this. Is there anywhere else this bug and crash needs to be reported? Anyway to fix the installer myself in OEM in the mean time?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SomeUser; Jun 11, 2023, 02:56 PM. Reason: Added markdown tags.

Welcome!

Probably slightly OT:
    The best way to upgrade *Ubuntu and *Ubuntu-based systems in CLI is sudo apt full-upgrade, not sudo apt upgrade .
    The latter is meant for Debian.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 11, 2023, 08:24 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Welcome!

Probably slightly OT:
      The best way to upgrade *Ubuntu and *Ubuntu-based systems in CLI is sudo apt full-upgrade, not sudo apt upgrade .
      The latter is meant for Debian.
      Thank you for the information.
      Unfortunately, this did not resolve my issue. I just got the same result.

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1990196

Comment

Thank you very much for this information. It looks like it will be a while before this will be fixed then. This is very unfortunate.
          Probably off topic (Couldn't locate forum rules), but could I have a recommendation for a kde distro with a working OEM?

Comment

Originally posted by SomeUser View Post
            Probably off topic (Couldn't locate forum rules),
            That’d be because we don’t have any (published). But, in general, these words from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure convey what is expected of our members: “Be excellent to each other.".

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X