This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu on a new PC

My desktop PC that I bought in 2017 is starting to show some age. It does take a while to get fully booted up. I've maxed its memory out at 16 GB, and have recently been lusting over an SSD drive. However, by the time I bought an SSD drive and either installed it myself or paid to have it done, I could have seriously considered just getting another desktop. Here's the one I'm considering:

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex...5491-_-Product

It might be cool to just get myself another Dell Desktop and put Kubuntu on it, much like I did in 2017. For my current Dell desktop, I could just restore Windows 10 onto it for those occasional times when I need Windows. An option besides WINE, VirtualBox, or dual boot is to just remote into a Win 10 PC if you must run a Windows app. I could keep my older PC for that. Either remote into it or KVM over to it if I need Windows for something.

Now that it's been ages since I installed Kubuntu on a new PC, what do I need to be aware of. I remember they got rid of the old BIOS systems and replaced them with something like EFII ... I forget the acronym, but I remember getting Kubuntu up and running, but there were some hassles due to some of the newer security crap. What do I need to look for? Is that PC in the link a good choice? It's unlikely I'll want to dual boot. I'll just wipe the drive and install Kubuntu onto it. My older desktop will get Win 10 back for those times when I might need Windows.

If I put the Kubuntu installer onto a flash drive, can I still pretty easily install it as the sole operating system?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
    If I put the Kubuntu installer onto a flash drive, can I still pretty easily install it as the sole operating system?
    Yup. Easiest way to go, to be honest.

You might consider disabling secure boot in the bios, as you won't need it. And despite the perception, W10 doesn't require it, really.
    However, it is fine to keep it enabled, the installer will be able to handle that, and has a place to enter a password, which saves a few steps during the install, as well as post-install iirc.
    I can't recall the process, as I haven't used secure boot in ages, even on my W11 mini PC

Comment

The following could be helpful:
      https://thcc.name/static/model?id=647

Comment

2017, but no SSD or NVMe? I don't understand; did I get that right?

Anyway, if you put a SATA SSD, or better an NVMe drive in your old computer and run from the new drive, it will be much faster. IMO if the CPU is decent it should be fine. IMO Windows these days is unacceptably slow running from a spinning drive. So if you get a new desktop, and keep the old for Windows, you'll want an SSD in it anyway.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          2017, but no SSD or NVMe? I don't understand; did I get that right?

Anyway, if you put a SATA SSD, or better an NVMe drive in your old computer and run from the new drive, it will be much faster. IMO if the CPU is decent it should be fine. IMO Windows these days is unacceptably slow running from a spinning drive. So if you get a new desktop, and keep the old for Windows, you'll want an SSD in it anyway.
          I fully agree. Choose an SSD; even with a slower CPU it will outperform a spinner.

Comment

A $217 price tag, sans monitor, looks appealing. I noticed that Dell and M$ say that it can't be upgraded to Win11.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              […]I noticed that Dell and M$ say that it can't be upgraded to Win11.
              That is because of the Intel i7-6700 CPU. It does not officially meet Microsoft's minimum "requirements" for Win11.
              But see claydoh 's post below.

Apart from that: the price is right, though this is an older machine - my other half uses one for gaming and office stuff with nearly identical stats (and an additional dedicated graphics card).
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 04, 2023, 03:31 AM. Reason: added correction
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                That is because of the Intel i7-6700 CPU. It does not meet Microsoft's minimum "requirements" for Win11.
                But you can still install it on that.
                My mini-PC is an i5-6500T low power thingy, and it upgraded to W11, with some minor adjustments. MS even tells you how. My HP mini does have a supported TPM chip, though.
                This may be more an issue than the CPU, though I think there are workarounds for that, even. It looks like that Dell model has an upgrade for that
                The thing runs W11 just fine, though the small, dirt cheap SSD is not at all speedy, and neither is an i5 that only uses 35 watts lol.
                (I only have this thing on the hopes I finally land a new job, and need a Windows PC, and I don't want to dual boot if I don't have to)

Comment

claydoh You are right - OK, I corrected it in my post to be more precise…
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                    claydoh You are right - OK, I corrected it in my post to be more precise…
                    But you are not wrong here, it does not meet the minimum CPU requirements, for sure.
                    I upgraded the thing only because I could, and have cloned the W10 install Just In Case.
                    If Tom wanted W11 for some ungodly reason, it would run fine on that hardware for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X