Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet went out during upgrade to 22.04, what happens with a reboot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet went out during upgrade to 22.04, what happens with a reboot?

I was able to get the upgrade process started for 22.04 from 20.04, however my internet went down while it was in the middle. Is it possible that anything has changed to keep it from booting back up? I'm just curious in case I can't get my internet up and going in the next several days to finish the upgrade.

I did get this message at the end of the failed update, which makes me think it should be fine, however I wouldn't mind some confirmation first.

Restoring original system state

Aborting
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done

Any information is appreciated.
    - ​Sam

Just redo the install from the start but without activating the Internet. Later, when you get the Internet back and connected, doing
    sudo apt udpate
    sudo apt full-upgrade

or
    sudo pkcon refresh
    sudo pkcon update

will bring the install up to date.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have actually been using this system with 20.04 for a while now and have it nicely set up, which is the reason I was going to try the upgrade process to see how it goes. I should have given more background or at least linked to my last post here. However, I will likely just try to reboot to see what happens. I should have a good backup and I can just start over if it doesn't go well.

I appreciate the response though.
      - ​Sam

Comment

Best wishes.

In principle (after backing up anything you don't want to lose) you might be able to
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        sudo apt -f install
        I've no experience doing so. It might be not to bad to reinstall the OS but keep your home directory where much of your nice set up is, though installing software is not. After being in a similar position (due to hardware problems) I resolved to take advice and assiduously made notes every time I installed and set up anything; I kept that up for years...
        Regards, John Little

Comment

It's been a few days, but it seemed worthwhile to note that after going ahead and trying the reboot, everything appeared to still be in the "original system state". All went well and I was able to finish the upgrade to 22.04. The update process seemed to go well(will probably remove snap though). I can't say it's better to upgrade as I see the the appealing side of "cleaning house" like I saw someone on here state, yet I do think that for those that are less technically inclined that it might be much more appealing to be able to upgrade rather than redo the whole install process(especially if someone else installed it for them in the first place). I am new to Linux in general and coming from Windows found it to be quite overwhelming getting started, even though I have had some technology background years ago(I have since realized I never really knew much about the inner workings of Windows, just how to use it.)

jlittle, I didn't get your message before hand, but I was also dealing with an internet shortage, so I'm not sure if it would have worked to run those commands. I also decided it would be a good test just to see what would actually happen, maybe someone else will wonder?
          - ​Sam

Comment

Originally posted by SamW83 View Post
            jlittle, I didn't get your message before hand, but I was also dealing with an internet shortage, so I'm not sure if it would have worked to run those commands. I also decided it would be a good test just to see what would actually happen, maybe someone else will wonder?
            Having the "original system state" suggests to me that APT had not begun committing (I'm not sure that's the correct term) the upgrade to the system, and was not in a broken state. Those commands would have had no effect, as the first would find no packages unconfigured, and the second nothing to do.

APT has been upgrading millions of systems for 25 years, and the underlying dpkg even before that; I imagine that by now it's very good at recovering from interrupted upgrades.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X