Update aborted Kubuntu no longer boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update aborted Kubuntu no longer boots

Hello - I am not very familiar with Kubuntu code though I have found snippets on the web that help solved past Kubunutu problems. I am a GIS analyst and love Kubuntu for it's flexibility. I have attempted to update to 22.04. The process aborted half way through and I can no longer boot up. The computer is a 2020 Dell Inspiron laptop dual boot with Windows. Kubuntu was loaded from the beginning and I have never opened Windows. I first used the update button from the lower right corner of the window it errored out but gave no description in the popup dialog box. I then tried Konsole which also errored out. I then used Krunner which seemed to progress well until it came to the mandatory reboot. Kubuntu stopped working after that. I believe the error may have to do with QGIS files as during the update, install error messages came up concerning files related to this program. Originally I installed QGIS through the software center however Kubuntu remains several versions behind. Last year I uninstalled QGIS, rebooted and installed QGIS from here: https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/al...#debian-ubuntu. The new version worked well though I continued to be prompted for "upgrades" for the old version of QGIS that should have been uninstalled. Currently the laptop opens to the dual boot screen, I select Kubuntu, I get the Kubuntu flash then the DELL logo and that is were it freezes. I attempted to use advanced boot to repair but that also aborted. I know this is not much to go on. I will try to get any additional relevant information that may be need to solve my dilemma. - Thanks!

Hello QGISuser,
    Welcome to the Forum. I don't have a solution to your problem. Someone may. But my advise is to use the live session to backup whatever important data you can and do a complete fresh new install of 22.04. Upgrades don't always go well from one major release to another. Point release seem to work well most of the time. Good luck.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by QGISuser View Post
      I have attempted to update to 22.04.
      From what version?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello Snowhog - Previous version I believe was 20.04.x LTS I am not sure of the last digit. Thanks!

Comment

In the case of a GRUB problem, I did these steps but I am not sure if yours is a GRUB problem. Maybe it is a video driver problem. Which video card (GPU) do you have?

These steps might fix your GRUB.
          https://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to-repair-grub2-when-ubuntu-wont-boot/
          1. Insert the Kubuntu DVD and boot up the PC
          2. Choose “Try Kubuntu”
          3. When it reaches the Kubuntu desktop, open a terminal window
          4. sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
          boot-repair
          5. The last command will launch a graphical tool.
          6. Only click on Recommended Repair button and it will automatically fix it.
          Don’t use the advanced button unless you know what you are doing.
          7. Then it says
          Upload the report to a pastebin?
          Click No.
          After 1 minute, it says
          Boot successfully repaired.
          You can now reboot your computer.
          Click on OK.
          Close the cmd window.
          Click Start -> Leave -> Reboot
          Click on OK.
          It will eject the DVD.
          Remove the DVD.