This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what to do!

I hadn't installed anything for a few months, and today I attempted to install some webcam-related programs (via Synaptic, and then via Discover), but everything failed. Some looking around informed me that 21.10 had reached its EOL, so here I sit, twiddling my thumbs, trying to decide what to do.

My System76 Gazelle laptop--as some of you may recall--is the first Linux computer I've ever had where *I* didn't install its OS myself. A very kind support person I got to know pretty well at S76 installed Kubuntu for me (versus their normal choices of Ubuntu or Pop, only). It's been working GREAT. FANTASTIC. PERFECT! No problems whatsoever for months and months now. Can you hear my brain shouting "I don't want to rock the boat!"?

I'm not sure what I'm hoping for here. Maybe reassurance that upgrading to 22.04 should go smoothly. Or something. I've generally stuck with LTS versions, as I'm really bad about upgrading frequently. Is 22.04 pretty safe/stable/reliable? I don't really want to step down to 20.04, you know? What do you think guys (and any gals who may be reading this)?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

I would do the upgrade to 22.04 as I find it very stable and good to use. Back up everything that's important off disc. Either cloud or back Usb or something and do fresh new install. Though the upgrade should work. I think there is less chance for error with a new install. Good luck. Others may have other opinions.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

First off, Ubuntu/Kubuntu may need to get on the ball and either turn on the upgrade notifications, and/or add some sort of notification about End of Life support status. Or fix things if the upgrade notifications are not working.

In any case, the repos for 21.10, and other EOL Ubuntu releases aren't complete closed off, they have simply been archived. it is not difficult to point your sources.list to their current location:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EO...e_sources.list

Basically, edit your sources.list file and change the url part from whatever it currently is (probably us.archive.ubuntu.com) to old-releases.ubuntu.com
      Then, if after updating and possibly a reboot, you don't see an upgrade prompt, you can start the process manually:
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...433#post665433

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. claydoh I figured I could re-point the repository location, but I hadn't gotten that far yet last night. Thanks.

I almost never do upgrades, per se. I normally do a full, fresh, install/reinstall. But because this laptop is a S76 and it has some of their specific drivers on it, I'm pretty worried about doing a clean install. I just have that sickening feeling in my gut that something will end up broken, like graphics that don't work right or...whatever. Hence, I'm tempted to upgrade instead, but I know how that can go, too. Clean installs are so much nicer because you get rid of any extraneous crap from the prior version that serves no purpose any more, and there are no conflicts between old and new files. But given the extraordinary difficulties that led to the laptop I have now, well, frankly, I don't want to screw things up!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

So, in your situation, and if I were you, I'd make a bare metal backup of the system HD using Clonezilla (and verifying via Clonezilla after the process that the clone is bootable) before you proceed with the upgrade. You'll have to have an external drive equal to or bigger than the size of the system HD. But having a bootable clone of your system is peace of mind. But I must also opine, given your "luck" with your System76 PCs, even that might not be 100% fool proof.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's an excellent suggestion, Snowhog. I can't recall ever using Clonezilla (or similar) and doing what you're suggesting, but maybe it's time I familiarize myself with the idea. You're right, of course, about my "luck" and everything...but I may just have to get over it and plunge in! As noted earlier, I normally stick with LTS versions, so I really would like to move forward simply to accomplish that, but I don't know...

Comment

This may sound really silly, but I've decided not to do anything right now. I'm just too happy with how my laptop is running to risk mucking things up. I'm not ruling it out for down the road, just right now I want to leave things alone. Anyone who followed my long.......LONG......saga leading up to this will surely get it!

Comment

It's not good to run an EOL distro for long, from a security standpoint anyway. I would still do the upgrade to 22.04 that one will be supported for many years yet. Good luck. Back up everything inportant to you. and Go for it.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  This may sound really silly, but I've decided not to do anything right now. I'm just too happy with how my laptop is running to risk mucking things up. I'm not ruling it out for down the road, just right now I want to leave things alone. Anyone who followed my long.......LONG......saga leading up to this will surely get it!
                  System76 is switching away from Gnome and is writing its own DE using Rust. Rust compatibility will be added to the 6.1 Linux kernel.

Veronica says stick with your present install!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Rust compatibility will be added to the 6.1 Linux kernel.
                    A juxtaposition that raises an eyebrow...

I'd hope that one can write a DE without making changes to the kernel, so the new DE wouldn't have to wait for Linux 6.1. (Significant parts of Firefox have been in Rust for years.) However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gnome has committed sins (as I would judge it) in its interface with the kernel.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      A juxtaposition that raises an eyebrow...

I'd hope that one can write a DE without making changes to the kernel, so the new DE wouldn't have to wait for Linux 6.1. (Significant parts of Firefox have been in Rust for years.) However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gnome has committed sins (as I would judge it) in its interface with the kernel.
                      Qt has normally been written using C++ and using its API requires C++, or it did the last time I used it, so I doubt the 6.1 kernel will affect DE's written in C++.
                      On the other hand, there are LOTS of improvements to BTRFS in the 6.1 kernel. Here are two articles about the changes:

https://www.phoronix.com/review/linux-61-features
                      https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/cover.1...erba@suse.com/

The performance of BTRFS, which isn't shabby for non-corporate users, will be enhanced for both groups.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X