22.04 not installing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday 28th.
    I fear I still have problems! I have now purchased a box of Verbatim DVD-R discs labeled 4.7Gb 16xspeeed 120min. Back home used K3B to burn the original downloaded .iso file onto one of those blank discs. To my bafflement it stopped at the same point as did my previous attempt on to a 3.5Gb disc with a Write Error message. When I use Dolphin to see what I have got on that DVD (I am calling it 'Failed' for an identity) I am given only the one file name - Kubuntu 22.04 LTS amd64 - but also 'free space 0b of 3.5Gb (100% used)'. That is absurd! How can a 7.4 capacity disc be full at 3.5Gb?

Tracking back further to my original download (the usb stick I call Lily) I get the file name 'kubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso' and then 'size is 3.5Gb' - yet the stick itself is labeled 16Gb and Dolphin tells me it has 11Gb free. In other words the download has terminated at just the capacity of the DVD onto which I intended to burn it, left 11Gb unused, and a shortfall of 1.5Gb. That cannot be coincidence, surely? Lily could not know what my next step would be!

I am going back to get a better grasp on this SHA business but in the meantime has anyone else tried downloading 22.04 (some must have, surely)? If so, from which source and what size was the resultant .iso file please? I would happily follow someone else's lead!

In passing is there any significance in the original being an ISO9669 file system? From online I got only that it is the standard format for CDs and DVDs. From K3b I got a notification that 'The file you are about to add to the project is an IS 9660 image. As such it can be burned to a medium directly since it already contains a file system' - I opted to 'Burn the image directly' - would that have been correct?​

Comment

Once you figure out how to SHA256 the download, I would download the LTS .iso to your hard drive and use Smart Disk Creator on your USB stick. Then enter your BIOS and set the USB stick to the 1st option to boot from.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
        Friday 28th.
        I fear I still have problems! I have now purchased a box of Verbatim DVD-R discs labeled 4.7Gb 16xspeeed 120min. Back home used K3B to burn the original downloaded .iso file onto one of those blank discs. To my bafflement it stopped at the same point as did my previous attempt on to a 3.5Gb disc with a Write Error message. When I use Dolphin to see what I have got on that DVD (I am calling it 'Failed' for an identity) I am given only the one file name - Kubuntu 22.04 LTS amd64 - but also 'free space 0b of 3.5Gb (100% used)'. That is absurd! How can a 7.4 capacity disc be full at 3.5Gb?​
        It is normal; that's the difference of burning as opposed to copying a CD.

I am going back to get a better grasp on this SHA business but in the meantime has anyone else tried downloading 22.04 (some must have, surely)? If so, from which source and what size was the resultant .iso file please? I would happily follow someone else's lead!
        This is the address to download:
        https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r....04.1/release/

I assume your pc is UEFI capable.

Comment

The file that I have is
          kubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
          I think I downloaded it a year ago.

I burned it to DVD-RW and installed it.
          Previous version of Kubuntu would not install from DVD (21.10, 21.04). We reported the bug and I guess they fixed it in 22.04.
          20.04 and 22.04 can be installed from DVD.

As for your question about size, my ISO file is
          3,767,502,848 Bytes

As to your question about fitting a 3.5 GB file on a 4.7 GB DVD.... DVDs don’t have 4.7 GB because they divide by 1000 instead of dividing by 1024.
          In reality, the size of a DVD is 4.38 GB. Some people get their panties in a twist and insist on inserting an i in the GB and calling that gigigobo.
          Your file should fit.

BTW, your 1 TB HDD is actually 0.93 GB.

Comment

Working...
          X